Thursday, February 28, 2013

Feb 28 - Farewell and Flowers

  My last day at Forest Hill Chase, a sad occasion for sure.  I was greeted by a very sad face indeed, waiting for me at my desk.  It was the biggest bounciest balloon I think I've ever seen, but alas, his spirits were less than buoyant.
  It was a pretty exhausting day.  I spent almost the entire day stepping my offsider through what was to be done with various bits of paper and any issues I had outstanding and what was required to resolve them.  We didn't get to billings however, so we'll have to find a way to do that training remotely!
  My right-hand gal came in to wish me fond farewells with her still new bubby, who was generously making cute baby smiles whenever I glanced his way.  She brought me a bunch of pink and yellow striped roses.  They were just gorgeous and smelled beautiful.  She arrived almost simultaneously with our voiceover artiste who had come bearing a large bunch of white lissies from The Lone Hydrangea.  Best name for a florist ever.


  In the end I decided that with one bunch of flowers already at home from my birthday (also lissies), I would take home the further lissies and leave the roses in the office for the girls to enjoy in my absence.  It was a wrench to do, but I have only one vase.  It was lucky I did in the end, for when I arrived in the city to meet Mr Smart under the clocks at Flinders Street Station, he presented me with a floral gift of his own!


  A small potted cyclamen.  I should have better luck keeping this arrangement alive, though I have admittedly black thumbs when it comes to gardening.  I was touched and asked in appreciative tones "What's this for?"  He responded with the brilliantly simple yet romantic, "Because it's a day that ends in Y".
  We were in the city tonight to attend at MTC production of The Other Place by Sharr White.  I am on the MTC e-mailing list and had been wanting to see an MTC production for a while now so when an email popped up offering an 'all tickets $30' special I snapped up two tickets while I had the chance.  I had thought that the seats were in an average location, but what the hell at $30 you go anyway, but they turned out to be front and centre of the circle which was great.
  It was solidly entertaining, gripping certainly, and funny in bits, but it did have a few flaws (as any artistic work might).  I think the thing that took the most adjusting to was the atrocious affected American accents put on by the Australian actors.  Sure, the play is set on the east coast of America, but even so, they laid it on a bit thick.  And they certainly didn't get the right accent for the location, they tried for 'American' rather than New Yorker or Bostonian.  I won't go into the plot related flaws here though, as that would entail going into the plot in quite some detail.
  What I liked about it was its minimalist set and cast of just four players doing eight characters between them.  It was also clever how the main character Juliana, would describe an event by acting it out in the spotlight while the other players would remain on stage in shadow.  It was very effective and quite a raw, revealing technique as you learned more about the character.


  Mr Smart and I headed back to my place after the play and on the way we got talking about lifestyle, the foods we were eating etc.  Neither of us had had much to eat for dinner so when I mentioned how much of a temptation it was, having the Kebab Joint right near my house, it inevitably led to a late night kebab.  We were sensible though, one kebab shared between two.  Next time we might even forgo the bready wrap and just have the lamb shish with salad in a box.

Today's food was:

  •  Breakfast was a Baker's Delight Apricot Delight Roll, toasted in the sandwich press then spread with 40g Philadelphia Extra Light Cream Cheese.
  •  Lunch was a bowl of saffron rice with creamy potato curry and a beef pan roll from Mild n Spicy at Forest Hill Chase.
  • Dinner part one, was a plain croissant and a jam shortbread biscuit.
  • Dinner part two, was half a lamb shish kebab from the Kebab Joint.

  I set my alarm for 9am to make sure I wouldn't be late for my massage in the morning.  The massage at Endota Spa Frankston was a parting gift from the guys at work.  Very fitting that I'm doing something relaxing I think, on my final day off.  I am back to full time hours as of Monday.  I'm pretty sure I won't know myself.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment