Sunday, February 24, 2013

Feb 24 - World of Regret

  Oh god, why did I eat so much?  It didn't feel like so much at the time but my body was definitely rebelling against it today.  There were a fair few unpleasant ramifications from last night's blow out, the worst of which were bloat and a delicate tummy.  I did not want to eat much today as a result, so I didn't.  In fact the sum total of my ingestions today were a Nespresso Dulsão do Brasil pod coffee for breakfast and an Apple & Walnut scroll from Baker's Delight for lunch.  I sipped on water the rest of the time but I really didn't feel hungry, in fact it's almost midnight now and I still don't feel hungry.


  I headed home from Mr Smart's in the morning.  He had further study to do and I had the inevitable weekend chores.  My tummy was very uncomfortable the whole drive home and I don't know how that goes for you guys, but my brain tends not to function very well if I'm in pain.  I therefore took a while to process Gub explaining to me that she'd accidentally left the headlights of her car on and run the battery flat and could I please jump start her and then we could go shopping so that the car gets a drive.
  About an hour or two later, I had finally processed what was being asked and agreed to both the jump start and the shopping expedition.  I should remember by now, but I still rang Dad to double-check the jump start procedure.  Red cable to positive terminal on good battery then bad battery, black cable to negative terminal on good battery and engine block of car with bad battery.  Start the car with the good battery, then start the car with the bad battery, remove cables in reverse order the drive the car with the bad battery for about thirty minutes.
  We decided Forest Hill Chase was far enough away to be the right sort of length drive.  We arrived and found a car park that would've been impossible for any car but the Terios then we went to Big W and bought birthday presents for our nephew (he's only five days after me).  Gub was a little peckish by this time so she got some sushi hand rolls for lunch.  The very thought of them made me feel ill.  I wondered whether a plain sandwich might do the trick, but looking at those in the food court made me feel no better.
  We moved on instead to the Optus shop.  I have had it in mind for a while that I'm probably due to join the rest of you and get myself a smart phone.  Having a phone on a plan will also net me a discount on a new internet plan so it seemed to be the right timing.  The guy who served us was weird to say the least and in my fuzzy-headed state, I was bloody glad to be finished there as it was a little difficult to cope with.
  At one point he was marking significant non-included items on my new contract.  Do I like stars?  He likes stars.  Do I like stars?  And he didn't move on until I managed "Yes fine, I like stars." Of course I was thinking what the bloody hell are you asking me that for??? And at any rate they were asterisks, not stars.  So began the first of my frustrating phone related experiences for the day.  We went passed Baker's Delight on the way out and I grabbed 'something' to put in my stomach.  I didn't really care what, as long as it was relatively plain and sweet.  For some reason I needed it to be sweet.
  My new smart phone is a Nokia Lumia 820 and it's a Windows Phone (please Earnest, stop laughing and/or crying).  I have to say, learning to use a smart phone the first time is not an easy process.  They very much assume that you're only on the next generation of phone, not that you've been living in the phone equivalent of the dark ages.  It took me two hours to work out how to text and by then I had to reset and start again because I didn't realise that putting my hotmail address onto it would automatically import all my hotmail contacts (a lot of whom I do not want on my phone).  The only way to get my hotmail address off the phone (as it was now set as the primary email) was to reset the phone and start again.  I set up a special new email just for use in conjunction with the phone which was a trial in itself!
  Eventually, through the heavy use of online tutorials I managed to get my screen looking the way I wanted it to and I began the arduous task of putting all my contacts in again.  I apologise in advance to anyone who gets a "Sorry, who is this?" text from me in the interim as I may be a week learning to use the damn thing.  I think I have texting and calendaring things right now, but how I will go with 'Apps' I have no clue.  I am under orders from both Mr Smart and Earnest to get Words With Friends at my earliest possible convenience.  I will clearly be needing to find more WiFi hot spots.
  Despite my frustrations with the set up and learning curve (and those described here were by no means all of them, or even the worst of them) I suspect I am going to like my new phone.  In fact I suspect I shall be playing with it in bed for a while tonight before I eventually give in to sleep, and it is already rather late.
  I had a bit of an unpleasant epiphany today too.  I think I am actually scared about my weight getting down to double-digits.  I suspect that that may be in part, a psychological reason I do not much feel like exercise lately.  I think that once once I fall below the crucial 100kg mark, I will feel like any move back over that line will be an automatic failure, a game over as it were.  I know that probably doesn't make sense to any one who hasn't been in the same position but it's a very real and daunting feeling.
  Gub talked it through with me and suggested that perhaps once I do finally see the scales display double-digits that I should be really careful, but not weight myself again for a few months until I am comfortably below the 100kg mark (like three or four kilos under).  Mr Smart's suggestion was that perhaps it is time to focus more on the healthy lifestyle I want to live and less on an actual goal weight.  Both are valuable pieces of advice.
  With all that fear in mind, I know to succeed I will have to face it and conquer it.  I have committed myself to an action item for tomorrow.  Tomorrow I am going to do twenty minutes on the cross trainer and I have informed Mr Smart that he is to 'boot me in the arse' if I make a liar of myself.  I do want to be the healthier, fitter, skinnier me, and I will bloody well get there in the end.
  Jess

1 comment: