Friday, February 1, 2013

Feb 1 - Opportunity Knocks

  I have no idea what time of morning it was, but I was awakened by a half-purred miaow.  The curiously optimistic face of Pizza Car was mere centimetres from mine.  She'd jumped over Mr Smart to get to me.  I've obviously been made as an easy mark.  I started patting her and she settled between us purring contentedly.  I drifted in and out of consciousness but while sleeping my hand remained on her head and instinctively took up patting whenever I woke and felt her furry head in my palm.
  I eventually woke more permanently at around 8:30am to find her gone and stirred and dressed.  I had intended to make Mr Smart and I fried mushrooms on toast for breakfast but no mushrooms could be located, though Mr Smart had thought he had some.  I momentarily thought I would just skip breakfast but then while we chatted Mr Smart Snr offered to cook me a fry up, an offer I could not refuse.  It was delicious!
  I headed off soon after breakfast, a lot to be organised before I felt ready for my 4pm appointment today.  I was so focused on it all, that I nearly passed up a perfect opportunity to check out a new shopping option.  You may recall I was miffed that Coles and Woolworths both seemed to simultaneously stop stocking my favourite tinned tuna?  Well I did eventually find that the manufacturer has a factory wholesale shop which is open during the week and on Saturday mornings.  It is on the way home from Mr Smart's but I am rarely going home from Mr Smart's on a weekday or a Saturday morning.  It is so rare in fact, that until I was about to pass it I had forgotten it was Friday!
  I pulled in to the car park in the nick of time and made my way inside.  What a find!  I got a 24 pack of my favourite 95g Sole Mare Tuna in Olive Oil for $28.50, a 2.5kg tin of Val Verde Diced Tomatoes for a ridiculous $3.20 and a nice box of biscotti for $4.59 just for the hell of it.  It is called UGG Wholesale Foods and is found at 70 Bell Street in Preston, just shy of the Darebin Creek bend.  Their big brands are Sole Mare, Val Verde and Moro but they stocked lots of other lovely things too including San Pellegrino drinks and bulk bags of herbs and spices and caterer packs of aluminium foil and baking paper.  I will definitely drop in there again!


  I got home and had a nice hot relaxing shower and got dressed just in time for my front door to be knocked on.  It was Bertie and my nephew.  Bertie and Tricky wanted to go and have a quiet coffee together so my nephew was left with me for the remaining few hours before I headed into the city for my 4pm appointment.
  We sat on the couch and watched half of Robots and then half of Monster House.  He was clearly in a restless mood though, because after settling himself down under blankets, he decided a nap was not forthcoming.  He got up and declared both movies to be 'boring' and asked if we could play on the computer.
  My nephew is almost four and since he was three he has had his own profile on my computer.  We started with me doing all the clicking, but gradually I have taught him to operate the mouse so now he can do it mostly by himself.  I helped him open his favourite 'game' (a series of interactive songs by They Might Be Giants' childrens' album 'No!') and left him to it.  He was still happily clicking away when Bertie and Tricky got back to take him to lunch.  He insisted they wait until he finished the song he was on, and one more.


  I left not long after to head into the city.  I was going to catch the train in but I left it just ten minutes too late and had to drive in instead.  I made it to my appointment and got through it ok.  Explanation still to follow once I know the outcome.  It went well and I'm hopeful that this is one opportunity that will pan out.  Some of you know what the appointment was, some of you might have guessed, the rest of you will have to be patient!

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was a Nespresso Dulsão do Brasil pod coffee followed by two fried eggs with lovely runny yolks, four pieces of crispy grilled bacon, two slices of buttered wholemeal toast and two big slabs of grilled homegrown tomato.
  • Lunch was leftover Chris's Corn Relish dip and leftover Yumi's Spinach dip with snow peas, capsicum strips and Parker's Light pretzels which my nephew sort of assisted with, but not much.
  • Afternoon snack was a 375ml can of Coke Zero.
  • Dinner was homemade bolognese sauce with 64g (dry-weight) pasta.
  • Dessert was 25g Yarra Valley Chocolaterie sugar free dark chocolate.

  It was a bit lonely in the house this evening, I chatted to friends online for a bit but no one was in much of a chatty mood tonight.  I did get to speak to Dad on skype though, which was very welcome after today's events.  His advice and encouragement are always helpful when I'm worried about outcomes or what to dos.
  My weekend is shaping up to be pretty much housework and decluttering which isn't a bad thing.  I'm hoping I will have enough motivation to get going in the morning though.  If I don't get started, my enthusiasm tends to wane dramatically and then I end up with another wasted day or two.  Sunday might be unproductive though.  I may well be looking after my nephew and whenever that happens I do tend to spend more time entertaining than cleaning, though that's as it should be.
  Hope you all have great weekends!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment