Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Feb 12 - Interesting Work Stuff, Now With Big News

  Interesting work stuff, well... interesting to me anyway.  Today was the day of the annual Vic/Tas Office Administrators Workshop!  A group of sixteen or so girls and one boy from shopping centres all around the two states getting together to share knowledge, learn new things and have a collective giggle at the frustrations that we share.  These workshops are a really worthwhile way for us to bond as a team, even if that's 'team' in a non-traditional sense of the word given that we don't work directly together.
  Today was really productive, not only compared to yesterday (which was mind-numbing for the most part) but also compared to the workshops of past years.  People who might have traditionally taken up the negative, were engaged and contributing.  Sure, there was the occasional cry of "but that's not our job" when something above and beyond the call of duty was suggested, but overall there was just a really positive vibe all day.
  The other thing that makes these training days so worthwhile is the in-house caterer.  A goddess amongst food preparers of all kinds, she can make butter, sugar and flour sing and salad ingredients dance a merry jig.  As a result of suddenly finding my tummy in her care again, I did rather overdo it, but I think I would've regretted more sitting there sullenly eating rabbit food while the mood was so high.  Perhaps it's a failing, that I associate 'naughty' foods with gaity, but I don't suppose many of you feel differently on that point.
  We covered all sorts of topics and got to meet a great many head office colleagues face-to-face.  That really helps in a big organisation.  You meet face-to-face and you all of a sudden become 'real' to the other person, and they to you.  It helps people deal better with their colleagues because now they are dealing with a 'real person' on the phone, not just a disembodied voice or a toneless email.
  I got to talk a couple of times today on a few different topics.  It felt good to be sharing and helping.  One of the perks of having been in the support team myself is that public speaking really doesn't bother me anymore, it almost comes naturally.  One of the best things I got to explain today was how any of us could share our desktop screens with any other employee of the company using a Microsoft program called Lync.  It is fantastic because it will really let us help one another and relieve some of the burden from the support team.  I am excited about it to a silly degree.
  The girls in the support team nearly let my big news out of the bag several times today, pointing or looking at me whenever a particular shopping centre I don't currently work for was mentioned.  I don't suppose there is any harm disclosing it now though so here is my big news:  I have accepted a transfer to a shopping centre in the city!  It means going back to full time hours, no more for me a fortnightly Friday of freedom, but it also means an increase in title and increased role complexity which I will definitely enjoy (I think!).

  Today's food and exercise were:

  • Breakfast was a Nespresso Dulsão do Brasil pod coffee, courtesy of the ever thoughtful Mr Smart just before I ran out the door at 7am.
  • Morning tea was six blueberries, a white-flesh nectarine cheek, a yellow-flesh peach cheek, a small piece of watermelon, three small sausage rolls with tomato sauce, an orange and almond gluten-free cupcake, two scone halves with jam and cream and two pieces of chocolate and raspberry brownie.
  • Lunch was two small filled bread rolls (one with ham, lettuce, tomato relish and brie and the other with a chicken mixture with walnuts an avocado and lettuce), a small serve of salad with green beans, potato, and I'm not sure what else, a piece of unagi sushi and a piece of squid inari.
  • Afternoon tea was another piece of chocolate and raspberry brownie, a piece of some type of fruit cake, a white-flesh nectarine and four Kool Mints.
  • Exercise was a 45 minute clinical pilates class.

  I didn't eat dinner today.  I wasn't particularly hungry and I definitely had enough to eat today.  Curse the in-house caterer and her wondrous concoctions!  Still, I love her food and I'm at head office so little these days it seemed foolish to waste the opportunity.
  My evening was semi-productive tonight.  Ginger managed to get me home from the workshop and back to my waiting car in time for me to head to pilates.  It was a good class tonight and I have added in three sets of 15 tricep curls today.  My arms felt like they wanted to fall off but they feel ok now.  Once I got home again I spent rather a long time investigating my options for home phone, internet and mobile.  It seems like the time may have finally come for me to join the present and get a smart phone and it looks like it will work out cheaper than what I'm currently paying anyway!
  I also spent some time roaming around on Domain.com, fantasizing about city apartments.  The one aspect of the new role that I know I'm going to have trouble coming to grips with is the travel time.  There may be much musing on this topic in blogs to come (just warning you all in advance, poor Mr Smart has been dealing with it for weeks already).  At any rate, I'm looking forward to starting my new role.  I'm excited and nervous all at once, but one thing is for certain... I'm going to have to start finishing the blog a lot earlier in the evenings.  Goodnight all!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment