Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Feb 19 - Positive Pilates

  Pilates class was really good tonight despite Rush not being there.  Rush's colleague Chris took the class and it was cool to get a different perspective on the exercises.  Chris was a lot more talkative than Rush and tended to assess out loud since he was seeing us do our routines for the first time.  He noticed that when I was doing my 'scooters' that the foot I had on the floor was lifting at the heel when I came up.  He put a phone book wrapped in physio tape under my foot and it felt much more comfortable after that.
  Chris is very interested in the ideas of pain study and neuroplasticity too.  I recommended that he read The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge as a lot of what we discussed is covered in very simple terms in that book.  We talked about brain mapping and how if you don't use a muscle, then the brain groups it with other muscles and starts to see a whole group as one 'map', and how it's possible to retrain the brain by exercising specific muscles that don't commonly get used.  A very enlightening class.
  I did sweet bugger all after that and now it's time for bed!  I started reading a new Dave Duncan book last night The Death of Nnanji which is the fourth in The Seventh Sword series, but it was written 24 years after the original trilogy.  So far so good.

  Today's food and exercise were:

  • Breakfast was a toasted multigrain English muffin with Vegemite and one slice of Bega So Light tasty cheese.
  • Lunch was a Mission Mediterranean wrap with Rosella reduced-joule fruit chutney, 64g of Virginia ham, baby spinach, half a tomato and a third of a Lebanese cucumber.  I followed that with an apricot and 170g of red grapes.
  • Afternoon snack was a white-flesh nectarine and a not quite ripe banana.
  • Exercise was a 45 minute clinical pilates class.
  • Dinner was a fish-burger made of two toasted slices of Bürgen wholegrains & oats bread with Heinz light salad cream, a Coles lemon crumbed fish fillet (74g) done in the AirFryer and some iceberg lettuce.
  • Dessert was 300 of fresh diced pineapple.

  I was very happy with my fruit man photo today so I posted it to an image-sharing website that I belong to (http://imgur.com/gallery/i7AERtC).  So far it's had 11 upvotes and 3 downvotes leaving me at plus 8!  The online community works in mysterious ways.  I think my favourite comment was the top comment as I wrote this, from BillyWilly003.


  Ladies and gentlemen, the internet...  It is a silly place.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment