Friday, February 22, 2013

Feb 22 - My Number Is Up

  It was my last official working Friday at Forest Hill today.  A bit of a sad moment, and a panicky one!  I don't feel like I'm anywhere near finished training up my offsider, but the fact is, you never really do get the chance to do a 'complete' handover.  Usually your role isn't back-filled until weeks after you go and there really isn't any realistic way to cram three and a half years of experience into anyone else.  They just have to accumulate the experiences themselves along the way.
  After work I felt a bit at a loose end with no plans for the evening so it was serendipitous that I checked my phone as I readied myself to walk out the office door.  A message had arrived not three minutes beforehand from Mr Smart, asking what my plans were.  So of course my plans were very soon to go to Mr Smart's for dinner and a movie.  I grabbed some ingredients for dinner and headed off.  Traffic between Bulleen Road and Lower Heidelberg Road was horrible.
  When I arrived I settled myself at the kitchen table to make a filling for wraps for dinner.  I finished peeling about thirty prawns... I really do wonder why they call them 'cooked and peeled' prawns when they don't completely finish peeling them!  Mr Smart came in and nicked on for quality control purposes, and I gave Pizza Cat a little taste test as well.  This was a mistake of course.  I went and washed my hands the prawn prep and got back to the table just in time to shoo her away from the tasty pile of prawn meat.
  I finished making the wrap filling.  It consisted of 150g cooked and peeled (and then completely peeled) and chopped prawns, one Hass avocado and a generous tablespoon of Heinz light salad cream.  It's the second time I've used it as a filling and it seems to work quite well flavour-wise.  The salad cream stops the avocado from browning too.
  We ate dinner then watched a movie and then it was time for me to head home.  Ordinarily I'd find some excuse just to not go home, and certainly it was a tough call to make when Mr Smart busted out the pouty face, but we both have things to do in the morning.  We have a dinner tomorrow night in honour of my upcoming birthday so I need to be sure to get some housework and declutter time in before then!
  The ride home was a little different tonight.  Usually I have music on that I can sing along with, but I'd got a little tired of that on the way over and had switched the CDs quickly and without looking.  It turned out that I'd put on my classical music CD.  I got all of the way through le carnaval des animaux by Camille Saint-Saëns by the time I reached home.  My favourite part is Fossiles, the twelfth section of the fourteen section suite.  It only goes for a little over a minute but it's delightful.  Whenever I hear it I imagine happy ghostly bones of pets long lost, dancing around the feet of the elephant.
  I got home and emptied the letterbox.  A large envelope from Run for the Kids!  My bib number and shoe tag were enclosed.  Run for the Kids is a charity fun run/walk held in Melbourne each year to raise funds for the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal.  The walk is 5.5 km this year, a fraction longer than past years.  If you feel like donating to the worthy cause you can click here.  Thank you to those of you who already have donated!  This is the fourth time I've done the walk, always as part of Team Layla, which I got into through work.
  My work is a really positive place when it comes to encouraging both exercise and charity, preferably at the same time it seems.  The other big one they are doing at the moment is the Melbourne Cycle for MS Australia as one of our colleagues was diagnosed with MS last year.  If you're interested in donating to that one you can click here.  I'm not doing it but one of my new city-based coworkers is.  Enough charity flogging though, I think these last two paragaphs definitely constitute having done my duty.

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was Carmen's Classic fruit and nut muesli with Jalna a2 low-fat natural yoghurt, pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and a sliced pluot.
  • Morning snack was 170g Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy 98% fat free field strawberries yoghurt and an apricot.
  • Lunch was a bento box and a salt and pepper calamari hand roll from Sushi Sushi with a little side dish of Japanese mayonnaise.
  • Afternoon snack was a white-flesh nectarine.
  • Dinner was a Mission Mediterranean wrap with baby spinach, topped with a mixture of chopped cooked prawns, avocado and Heinz light salad cream.

  Must be time for bed and book now!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment