Thursday, April 4, 2013

Apr 4 - Pilatus Interruptus

  I was really stoked for pilates tonight.  I got up early, went in to work to start at the early time, finished at the appropriate early time, headed home in lovely light (relatively) school holidays traffic, I even managed to empty my rubbish and recycling and drag the bins to the kerb before I headed off.  Rush had called me earlier in the day and let me know that the gym ball I ordered was in!  So I was looking forward to picking that up too.  I'll have to work out how/where to inflate it at some point, but I digress.  I got to the physio, I paid for my session and my gym ball and went in.  Rush wasn't taking the class tonight and neither was Chris, tonight we had Anthony.
  Anthony, as he was oh so fond of pointing out, likes to do things differently.  So instead of doing a single uniform floor routine for warm up, he likes everyone to do a warm up customised for each individual.  Ok, not a terrible idea in and of itself, but that meant that half the time I was lying there waiting for him to tell me what to do next while he was busy customising for someone else.  And the floor exercises he did get me to do were so basic and boring like legs rolls of three different varieties.
  He was also constantly making corrections to my posture, which is fine, it's his job, but the way in which he did it irked me.  If I'm doing something wrong and Rush or Chris notices they get my attention, tell me and then watch while I correct and let me know when I've got it right.  If I am struggling to get it right, they then use their hands to gently correct my position or movement.  They do not just suddenly grab me and move me!
  I have a run sheet of my routine which I follow to make sure I'm doing everything.  I usually mix up the order I do it all in just for variety and depending on which muscles are feeling best etc.  Instead of being left to do my own thing I was constantly being directed to do exercises I don't even normally do, which again, I usually try at least one new thing each session, but as a result of constant interruption I kept losing count, or not getting to finish my sets, and I think by the end I had only completed half my normal routine and I honestly wanted to deck the guy.  I'm sure he's a good physio, the corrections he made were helpful physically, I just don't think his approach suits me.
  Also, for a medical professional taking a class of all women, he was surprisingly squeemish about the words 'period' and 'menopause'.  Hearing the other girls tease him by bringing them up constantly was indeed the highlight of the class for me.
  I wasn't able to get into a class next week, they have had a really sudden influx of people interested and the small class size means they book up fast, but I am in for the Tuesday after that, which is thankfully one of Chris's classes.  I hope I manage to make the class and that it goes better than tonight did!  Physically I still felt better after the class, but mentally I was a bit drained to say the least.

  Today's food and exercise were:

  • Breakfast was a quarter cup of Carmen's Classic fruit and nut muesli with Jalna low fat vanilla yoghurt.
  • Morning snack was some green seedless grapes.
  • Lunch was a Mission wholegrain wrap topped with baby spinach, Praise 99% fat free mayonnaise, Lebanese cucumber, about 97g of Dorsogna triple smoked ham, and a small truss tomato.  I also had a yellow-flesh peach.
  • Afternoon snack was a Royal Gala apple, cored and sliced.
  • Exercise was a 45 minute clinical pilates class.
  • Dinner was two slices of Bürgen wholemeal and seeds bread topped with baby spinach and rocket, 85g of smoked salmon, two poached eggs, homemade Hollandaise sauce and pepper.
  • Dessert was a teensy glass of Stones Green Ginger Wine on ice, with 15g Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

  I was a little bit stressed after pilates (that must be a somewhat rare occurrance) so I had a small glass of Stones Green Ginger Wine as a treat after dinner.  I remarked to Mr Smart in our usual chat window that this technically meant I was now drinking alone, he responded "I'm here!", so I guess I'm not an alcoholic just yet.
  Sometimes this house just feels too damn big and this is one of those nights.  The feeling is always emphasised when I go from a jam packed house to all of a sudden being on my own again.  Not that being jam packed is perfect either but it's certainly less lonesome.
  Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment