Sunday, April 21, 2013

Apr 17 - A Jug of Wine, A Loaf of Bread, and Thou

  Well it was a bloody cold morning outside today as we ran the fire evacuation drill.  What made it seem all worthwhile though, was that we were evacuating the building containing the local childcare centre.  All the toddlers and babies had to be evacuated by the childcare workers.  The babies were brought out in 'emergency evac cots' and the toddlers were brought out clinging to lengths of blue rope.  They all sat patiently in the alleyway until the drill was complete singing 'twinkle twinkle'.  It was the most adorable drill I've ever participated in.
  The drill took us almost to lunch time and the day just flew.  I feel like I accomplished very little.  At 4pm it was time for my catch up with my boss.  Her feedback, and the feedback she's received from others in the office was very positive.  Positively glowing.  It was somewhat comforting and I felt better after I got to share my anxieties with her.  My boss is very supportive and I'm silently cursing the fact that she's only on a maternity leave contract.  I don't want a new boss, I want to keep the one I have, I like her!
  After our catch up I dashed off to Mr Smart's for the evening.  At lunch time I had grabbed the ingredients for making my zucchini, bacon and parmesan pasta sauce and I was cooking it for us this evening.  We were both hungry so I set to work straight away.  It doesn't take long to actually cook, about 10 minutes, but the prep can take 20 minutes or so as there is a lot of grating involved.
  Unfortunately this batch turned out to be not a roaring success due to overkill on the chilli front.  I like to put a sprinkling of chilli flakes in to give it a little bit of a kick but Mr Smart couldn't find any and pronounced himself all out of chilli flakes, so I used ground chilli instead.  This as it turns out was a mistake, as I'm not as good at judging quantities of ground chilli.  The nommy zucchini bacon mix was a little drowned out in this batch.  It was still edible, but I won't make it that way again!
  We curled up with dinner on the couch and watched a bit of The Project before watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones.  Finally Varys appeared, though in a minor capacity.  I was glad to see him alive and well though.  Not so lucky one of the central characters - the violence visited upon him during ending caught me off guard and Mr Smart is very lucky indeed that I have a strong stomach!
  After dinner Mr Smart wanted to get a little more study done but he had completed a first draft of his academic essay on 'Is Sherlock Holmes a good detective?' and it was ready for me to proof read.  It was a lot easier than some of the proof reading I've done for him in that I had at least read the source material for this one.  He did enlighten me on one point though, I did not realise that you are not meant to use contractions in an academic paper so I re-read the whole thing scouring it for them, he'd only missed one!
  As we got ready for bed I again earned the ire of Pizza Cat.  She was a little put out at being shut out of 'her' room for the night.  I am a sucker for her but I just couldn't take being slept on again, it was too hard on my back last time!

  Wednesday's food was:

  • Two slices of toasted Bürgen wholemeal and seeds bread topped with leftover eggplant dip.
  • Morning snack was a small mandarin and a 35g Carman's dark choc, cranberry and almond muesli bar.
  • Lunch was a 300g Creamy pumpkin soup with two toasted slices of Bürgen wholemeal and seeds bread spread with Devondale butter.
  • Afternoon snack was a Red Delicious apple, cored and sliced.
  • Dinner was orrichete with my zucchini, bacon and parmesan sauce, a generous chunk of La Famiglia light garlic bread and two glasses of Fiorella moscato, followed by some green seedless grapes for dessert.

  I had a really lovely evening.  I'm rather enjoying mid-week GoT date nights.
  The title of today's blog is from a poem in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyáma.  I was reminded of it as I was thinking of how important the simple pleasures in life can be, like sharing a home-cooked meal with someone special.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment