Sunday, April 28, 2013

Apr 28 - Movie Classics

  Today Captain Cupcake and I had a date!  She arrived at my place at noon and we headed off to Chapel Street to grab lunch before our double-feature at The Astor.  We walked up and down Chapel Street, slightly overwhelmed by choice, looking for a suitable spot for lunch.  We eventually settled on a Thai place, Ghin Kopi, and we were rather happy with the whole experience.
  I ordered the Thai Pork Burger with fries.  It was a yummy juicy pork pattie with, lettuce, tomato, and a delicious fresh pineapple chilli relish on a crispy toasted roll, the fries were really rather good too.  Service was quick and friendly and it wasn't pricey either.  We may need to return multiple times to check out different dishes.  They do breakfasts too!  After a quick and tasty lunch we headed up to the The Astor to check in for our movies! 


  The Astor is all about classics.  Sure they show current feature films too, but the most fun you can have is by going to see a classic or cult film.  It's all about the atmosphere.  Old-fashioned ticket stubs, no lining up if you buy prepaid tickets, old-fashioned candy bar with awesome choc tops and tasty popcorn, comfy old seats, personal announcements to turn off mobiles, the crowd of movie lovers clapping and cheering as the curtain opens, and all the little things that make a difference. It's fun, really fun.


   We were seeing a double-feature matinee today of Labyrinth and Ghostbusters.  Yes, I've seen them both before, but not on the big screen!  For the duration of the two movies my snacks were, a medium popcorn, a spearmint-chocolate choc top and 155g bag of Maltesers.  We had an awesome time.  We got there early so no line for the bathrooms and no line for the candy bar!  Also, we got our pick of seats so we had a great view from the front row centre of the upper section of seating.  Best seats in the house in my opinion.


  After the movies both finished, Captain Cupcake and I headed back to my place and watched a few episodes of Community while I furiously blogged away catching up on the weekend's events.  Eventually we got hungry and walked down to the Kebab Joint.  I didn't feel like a kebab myself so I decided to try their pide.  I had a spinach, ricotta and feta pide topped with sesame and nigella seeds.  Lovely end to a lovely day.

  Captain Cupcake and I looked at my Astor calendar and picked out a few upcoming events we might be interested in: the Grease sing-along, Rocky Horror Picture Show (prizes for best costume!) and The Blues Brothers all made the shortlist.
  Can't wait for the next time!!
  Jess

PS:  Captain Cupcake also got me this awesome Lego art supply centre as a belated birthday present.  Thank you!





No comments:

Post a Comment