Friday, April 12, 2013

Apr 12 - The NeverEnding Story

  In all the kerfuffle between Mr Smart and I, I very nearly forgot that I was hosting an interstate guest this weekend.  Captain Cupcake had asked me several weeks ago if I could host a friend of hers from Sydney coming down for Supanova in Melbourne this weekend.  Luckily Captain Cupcake had texted me on Thursday and reminded me and I had time to get myself organised for it mentally.
  So it was that about lunchtime I got a text which said "Hi! It's your friendly random person who will be staying at your house!" and so it was that Lieutenant Petit Four arrived into my world.  We arranged to meet when I finished work and headed home together in my car.  It was a bit disconcerting to see a lot of myself in her, at least myself at that age (21).  Not disconcerting in an unpleasant way, she's a lovely person, but just in that when you subject yourself to a lot of self-examination in a short time frame you become a bit hyper-sensitive to it so the similarities kind of leaped out at me from this new person.
  We got back to my place having suffered through the Friday night Monash Freeway crawl relatively unscathed, and Captain Cupcake arrived shortly after.  We headed out to the Kebab Joint for a quick dinner before heading off to The Astor!  It seemed a perfect fit, that with two ladies so determined to seek out pop culture that we see a pop culture classic - newly digitally remastered, The NeverEnding Story.
  We met up with TwoWrongs and a couple of his friends and all went in.  We initially forwent snacks as by the time we arrived the line at the candy bar was immense.  I will remember that for next time and show up a little earlier.  Though I did eventually find myself the happy possessor of a choc top when Captain Cupcake and Lieutenant Petit Four snuck out during the movie to grab drinks, popcorn and other such snacks.
  It was awesome rewatching the movie after all these years.  I had not seen it for so long I'd forgotten nearly everything about it!  The characters were still familiar, but I still got surprised and it was different watching it through adult eyes.  The whole cinema full of movie-goers vocally cringed and chuckled nervously when Falkor creepily told Atreyu "I like children".  The film has definitely dated, but it was still a really fun movie to watch.
  After the movie we headed home so that the two ladies could get at least a little sleep before heading off to the expo early in the morning.  I think I probably fell asleep before either of them.  This week has been exhausting.

  Friday's food was:
  • Breakfast was a 35g Carmen's dark choc, cranberry and almond muesli bar followed by a 35g Carmen's yoghurt, apricot and almond muesli bar.
  • Lunch was Breadtop.  I'm not going to always win the battle to walk past it, today was one of those days.  I had a delicious little mini burger, a chicken and pesto naan bread, a mini ebi bun (prawn), a sausage donut and a red bean and walnut filo.  It was all scrummy and came in under $10 which is the other reason they are so hard to go past.
  • A lamb kebab with cheese from the Kebab Joint.
  • Movie snack was a vanilla choc top.
  I'm so glad it's the weekend.  I'm looking forward to getting a few things at home sorted out and just relaxing.  After this week, it'll be good to just try and chill out a bit.
  Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment