Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Jan 9 - Slow, But In Front

   I finished Memoirs of a Fat Bastard by Chris Gibson last night.  It wasn't terrible but it definitely only got published because it was written by Mel Gibson's brother.  It waffles on a fair bit and there is not much substance to it.  Essentially he says that to lose weight all he did was quit his 'he doesn't want to say alcoholic' drinking and start eating less crap.  All brought about by a drunken epiphany and a talk to 'someone'.  At least he steers clear of saying 'God was with me that night'.  I would've rolled my eyes at that.
  He didn't mention a book that helped him get some perspective on goal setting called Change Your Life in Seven Days by Paul McKenna which I might try to read but the only other things that stuck with me was the following quote:
  "Why it was never healthy food or drink that I craved while in a [downward] spiral,
I'll never know.  I accept that there is some universal law that reads, 'And God made "comfort food", and it be not of salad nor grain, nor fruit of the tree, unless it be processed or on a burger.  And those in misery rejoiced, temporarily."
  I do love that.  It made me laugh and it was the one part of the book that made me think, 'yep, he's really been through it'.  I could've done with some comfort food.  My body was definitely feeling last night's pilates class today.  My legs and knees felt the strain every time I stood, sat or walked.  Tonight my back is feeling the strain in that all too familiar spot on my left-hand side so I think I'm going to pop a couch cushion under my legs tonight to stretch it out.  By the end of dinner I was getting pretty sure that medicating it with chocolate would help, so of course I didn't.
  Despite the pain, I was keen to get back on the cross trainer.  Gub and the Cambridge Rower were back safe-and-sound from their cross-country jaunt from Adelaide.  Gub is sporting some ripper scabs as a result of a mountain-biking incident but she seems quite proud of them.  Badges of honour I suppose.  At any rate, she encouraged me to get changed and on the cross trainer despite my moans and groans.  I did get on but I just wasn't feeling it tonight so I only did twenty minutes at load 2 in front of The Ref, one of my top three movies of all time.
  Only twenty minutes of exercise, but something is better than nothing which brings me to something I saw on my way to work.  I spotted a truckie with a sense of humour in this morning's traffic.  The underside of his tailgate reads "I am slow, but I'm in front of you."  So I may have only done twenty minutes, but I'm still ahead of anyone doing nothing!


  Today's food and exercise were:

  • Breakfast was two slices of toasted Edwards Sourdough 7 Grain spread with Nutella.
  • Morning snack was an unripish banana that seemed happy to see me.
  • Lunch was a bowl of goat curry and rice followed by an apricot.
  • Afternoon snack was a yellow-flesh nectarine.
  • Dinner was a third of my homemade smoked salmon quiche which fresh salad of lettuce leaves, red capsicum, cucumber, avocado and crunchy sprouts dressed with Red Kellys Lemon Myrtle dressing.  Accompanying that was a glass of Grant Burge Moscato Rosa.
  • Exercise was twenty minutes on the cross trainer at load 2.

  So it's off to bed now to start a new book!  I'm not sure yet what it will be but I'm sure you lot will be the first to know.  Pleasant dreams everyone.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment