Monday, January 7, 2013

Jan 7 - Good Food, Good Skin

Fruit bowl on my desk, ready for the week ahead!




   I first got into fruit when I was a teenager, when my life was changing in every way. The first time I had a mango, at like 18, I was like, 'Where has this been my whole life?'
   - Scott Thompson





  When I was a kid Mum used to shop at the Queen Vic Market once a week on a Thursday.  She would buy about ten kilograms of fruit an that afternoon when we got home from school there would be four big bowls of fruit, one for each child, filled with seasonal goodness.  Summer was always the best season for delicious fresh fruits; cherries, bananas, peaches, nectarines, apricots, mangoes, lychees, grapes, pineapples!  I was very rare for any of us to have any left by the end of the weekend.
  I remember once, the mother of a school friend of mine berating her daughter for not eating fresh fruit.  "If you want to have nice skin like the Baker girls you've got to eat your fruit!"  I'm not sure I'd attribute our good skin to fruit alone or indeed water consumption.  I think it's probably got more to do with good genetics to be honest (thanks Mum and Dad) but the quote stuck with me all these years.  I still love fruit and I still eat a lot of it.
  Kate, a dietitian friend who runs the business Making Food Fun, remarked to me once that it is very much easier to get your three pieces of fruit a day than it is to get your five serves of veggies.  How true it is!  Fruit is sweet and aromatic and therefore more appealing, it also (mostly) doesn't take much preparation.
  I snack on fruit most days but I do try to up the veggie content where I can, like today.  I added tomato, cucumber and olives to my lunch and there was tomato, zucchini and eggplant in my dinner.  Oh wait... those are all technically fruit as well!  Do they count towards my veggie serves or am I way over on my fruit count?  Either way, I think I ate pretty well today and my skin and body are definitely appreciating the better care I am showing it these days.

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was two toasted slices of Bürgen Wholemeal & Seeds Bread spread with margarine and Bonne Maman apricot preserve.
  • For lunch I took a 300g Coles stone baked parmesan and onion batard and cut it in half lengthwise.  I hollowed out the top half and discarded the solid bready inside then spread the bottom half with Rosella reduced-joule fruit chutney.  I then topped it with baby spinach, 220g of pepper mortadella, a sliced truss tomato and two slices of Bega reduced fat tasty cheese.  I then cut the whole thing in half and put one half in the sandwich press and wrapped the other in Gladwrap and put it in the fridge for tomorrow.  Today's toasted half was served with two green olives stuffed with feta, eight slices of Lebanese cucumber, some black grapes, a sliced yellow-flesh nectarine and an apricot!
  • Afternoon snack was a Pink Lady apple, cored and sliced and one Ferrero Raffaello and one Ferrero Rond Noir.
  • Dinner was a 158g raw weight skin-off chicken thigh fillet, diced and pan-fried added to a 325g Vegie Fix roasted eggplant ragu.
  • Dessert was a 170g Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy Blueberry Fields 98% fat free yoghurt.

  Now... addressing my reduction in exercise since my back injury which is now thankfully well on the mend.  Certain parties have been showing a devoted interest in seeing my exercise regime get back on it's feet, or rather seeing me get back on mine, so: 
1) I am looking forward to my clinical pilates class tomorrow night and I even washed my exercise gear tonight in anticipation.  Maybe Rush can take photos for tomorrow's blog.
2) Since having done the walk on Saturday my body is starting to quietly crave exercise and it's been a longish while since Buffy and I have spent the evening together so I expect my crosstrainer-ing will start up again soon.  I might look at structuring it a bit differently though, like maybe utilising a heavier loaded program for a shorter length of time.
  That's it for today, I have dishes to lay away and a little more tidying to do before bed!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment