Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jan 13 - Sharktopus!

  I slept really well last night and it's always a real treat to have coffee arrive to my hand while I'm still in bed.  I enjoyed my Nespresso Dulsão do Brasil at a leisurely pace then hopped into the shower.  Mr Smart had plans for brunch today and I needed to get home for an appointment with some little people.  Earnest's kids it seems, have learned about skype, and thought that a video call to Auntie Jess was in order so off I went home to keep my Star Auntie status.
  At home I grabbed a little more sustenance.  Two slices of toasted multigrain bread with margarine and Vegemite and a 170g tub of Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy Vine Passionfruit 98% fat free yoghurt topped with slivered almonds and pumpkin seeds.


  I started writing up yesterday's blog and had almost finished when the skype call came through.  Earnest's eldest greeted me with an immediate interrogation, "Hi Auntie Jess, so when are you going to be up here next?"  Safe to say the little tacker misses me.  I confessed that I would be up for Earnest's birthday and would see him then which seemed to be an acceptable answer.  I was then told all about the latest Beast Wars books and what is happening in the world of Minecraft.
  Earnest's youngest then had her turn.  She made Earnest leave the room so that she could tell me what she wanted to get him as a belated Christmas gift.  It was a very sweet list which I'm not going to reveal since Earnest reads the blog almost religiousy, but suffice it to say that she would give him the moon were she capable.  I also got her Minecraft update, she has built a new canyon recently.
  Eventually Earnest stopped his daughter and after she'd said her goodbyes and run off, he asked "Is it all females who can talk for so long about nothing?"  I just laughed as I'm known to run on a bit myself when compared to the laconic nature of speech employed by both Earnest and Mr Smart.  It was really good to see the kids faces again.
  After my skype call I quickly finished off yesterday's blog then went and put on a load of washing and brought in the dry clothes from yesterday.  I did a bit of tidying up and at some stage went out the front and noticed a new delivery of fruit and veg from my dear next-door neighbour Swervyn.  It was a day of presents really as Gub also got me some flowers which was lovely of her.


  Swervyn was out the front of his place with Benny so I said hello and gave Benny a pat while we chatted.  Swervyn gave me the goss from the markets and we chatted 'retail' business for a bit but with time marching on and Gub and the Cambridge Rower already on their way down to Bertie's I got back to business, moving the fruit and veg inside.
  My fridge was already pretty well stocked but Swervyn had said I was free to share the bounty so I unpacked and sorted everything, discarding anything a bit too far gone, washing, drying and repacking.  My fruit for the work week is all sorted out as well as veggies for in my wraps and what was left I sorted out and repacked for taking down to Bertie.  There was a good lot of darkening bananas in the box so I'm hoping my freezer might get restocked with banana bread as a result!
  I hung out the laundry and put on a load of dishes then packed the car and headed off to Bertie's to join the family for dinner.  I got there at the tail end of Madagascar 3.  It was very silly but funny all the same.  I had a few handfuls of the warm popcorn everyone was munching on and then looked for something to keep my hands occupied so that I'd stop eating until dinner.  Luckily, I spied a task perfectly suited to distracting my tummy.

  Bertie is a baker and one of the tasks she has to do is snap up vast rolls of bread-bag-tags.  You know, the little plastic doohickeys that keep the bag closed.  This can take quite a while so she often takes them home to do.  She had two large white tubs to be filled with about ten rolls of the damn things yet to be snapped.  I started and soon Gub and the Cambridge Rower's competitive streaks showed.  They decided to have a race to see who could snap an entire roll the fastest.  Every roll got done tonight, so lets just say that overall, Bertie was the winner.
 
  We started watching Tangled and dinner was about half an hour from being ready so Tricky took the time to walk down to the supermarket with my nephew and grab soft drinks while the rest of us went right on snapping.  They soon returned and dinner was served.  A delicious Shepherd's pie with a cheesy potato mash top.  Bertie then momentarily horrified us all by covering her serving with tomato sauce.  She implored us to try it and it actually tasted pretty good so we all gave it a go.  Dessert was a lovely baked lemon curd cheesecake.  It turns out that my future brother-in-law is a bit of a food whiz kid!  It was delicious!  He even made the lemon curd himself!


  After dinner we all snuggled up on the couch to watch the end of Tangled.  My nephew had his shower and soon joined us, wrapped up in his towel and then a blanket until he fell asleep atop his Auntie Gub.  The Cambridge Rower carried him to bed and Tricky made sure he was safely nestled in his sleeping bag.


  With the minor out of the way for the evening we could get up to a little mischief so it was donuts and steamed dimsims all round for supper with a trashy horror movie... Sharktopus!  It was such a bad bad awful piece of shit movie.  One of the main characters was played by Eric Roberts.  He's a fairly well-known working actor but in this, maybe partly because of the script, he was just awful and seemed to have some creepy relationship going on with his 'on-screen' daughter.  You could almost hear the bom-chicka-wah-wah as he gazed down her top and called her 'pumpkin'.  That was far more scary and disturbing than the ridiculously bad CGI Sharktopus!  It was laughable  They had the thing 'walk' up the beach on its tentacles...


  At about 10pm, well before Sharktopus ended, I headed home to write up the blog before bed.  It's work for me in the morning regrettably.  If it wasn't for work I'd be at Mr Smart's right now, curled up on the couch ready to watch Liverpool v. Man U!
  Go Reds!  May your victory be swift and brutal!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment