Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jan 3 - Booking and Cooking

  I started a new book on Tuesday night.  Forgive me Mr Smart but it is a Luddite one, one of the ones I got at the second-hand book store in Tassie.  It is called Memoirs of a Fat Bastard by Chris Gibson, who as it turns out is one of Mel Gibson's younger brothers.  Interesting hearing about their upbringing and childhood from the perspective of a not-famous sibling.  I'm curious to see if I recognise any parallels in his weight-loss journy or learn anything new from his experiences.
  I am also still reading my declutter book on my kindle.  I've decided to read the book right the way through first and then a chapter at a time as I employ the techniques.  I could be reading that book for quite a while so it doesn't feel strange to read another simultaneously and honestly, the Chris Gibson book isn't exactly taxing on the brain.
  Last week I ordered a nice blue kindle cover and it arrived today!  I must admit that while I'm still very sentimentally attached to a lot of my beautiful, dusty, physical tomes, the kindle is a real plus.  It's a lot easier to lug about than some of the giant volumes I find myself tackling from time to time and it's easy to use.  I expect some of the books I'm less sentimentally attached to will be leaving the premises in the decluttering process.

Compact, useful, portable and now oh so pretty to boot!

  A pretty good day at work today.  My desk is actually starting to look semi-organised!  And I once more made some progress on the house too.  I brought washing in and I'll get to putting a new load out tomorrow on my day off some time after physio and grocery shopping.  I made a big pot of chilli, almost too big!  When I poured the last ingredient in the saucepan nearly overflowed.  Luckily I learned from previous efforts and cooked out a lot more liquid before setting it aside to cool.
   Today's chilli contained:
1kg extra lean beef mince (I wanted it a bit meatier than last time), 200g bacon pieces, 700ml jar of Val Verde Passata, 1.2kg of canned diced tomatoes, drained 400g tins of borlotti beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans and lentils, two really big carrots, grated and four parsnips grated.  I then seasoned it with garlic, basil flakes, chilli powder, cayenne pepper and paprika!
  It's not bad but I think next time I will switch out 400g of the diced tomatoes for a tomato paste as it still needs to be a bit thicker and creamier but it will make an excellent burrito filling with a little cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream and avocado on top!
  I'm going to try to cook something new for dinner tomorrow night, a smoke salmon quiche.  I'm already mentally altering the recipe.  Bought shortcrust instead of made as it's going to be a scorcher tomorrow and the recipe says thyme and chives but to hell with the idea of making a smoked salmon dish without dill!  Though I could incorporate dill into one of the salads...

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was a diced mango with Jalna Greek Vanilla Yoghurt.
  • Morning snack was a half serve (2) of belVita Fruit & Fibre breakfast biscuits and one yellow-flesh peach.
  • Lunch was a toasted sandwich comprising two slices of Bürgen Wholemeal & Seeds Bread and two slices of Bega So Light Tasty Cheese and a small serve of homemade cream of cauliflower soup (about 250ml) followed by a yellow-flesh peach.
  • Afternoon snack was the other half serve (2) of belVita Fruit & Fibre breakfast biscuits and one yellow-flesh peach.
  • Dinner was two Mission Whole Wheat Mini-Wraps each filled with a quarter of a hass avocado, some Perino snacking tomatoes, Heinz Salad Cream, 25g pan-fried bacon pieces and 110g raw weight chicken breast pan-fried in strips (so thats 220g raw weight chicken all together).
  • Dessert was a 170g tub of Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy Vine Passionfruit 98% fat free yoghurt and two Cadbury milk chocolate covered caramels (like a Fantale only flatter).
  • Extras were taste tests of my new batch of chilli and a Pepsi Max.

  So that's it for today folks.  Hopefully I'm going to start having a few before and after decluttering photos coming through but it's a very gradual process.  I'm looking forward to the wardrobe declutter though, I have so many clothes that are too big now, but I need Gub's help with that.  Her honest "No matter how much you love it, it's still too big" will be needed!  And of course I'll need help with the subsequent shop for new clothes!
  Goodnight all,
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment