Saturday, January 19, 2013

Jan 19 - Dinner at Cafe58

  I had a nice sleep in this morning, waking at 10am, then I got up, wondered why, and went back to bed to read for another hour.  Once I got up to the next section of my book I got up properly, showered, dressed and started writing up yesterday's blog.
  At around lunch time, Gub and the Cambridge Rower arose and we all had a very late breakfast.  They then headed off to the gym which left me free to complete my normal weekend tasks, I put on a load of dishes and finished off the blog while the dishwasher did its thing.  Then I put on a load of laundry and was just starting to empty the dishwasher when my plumber Daz arrived.
  While I emptied the dishwasher, Daz set to work fixing my leaking toilet.  It's been running a slow leak for a few months and using a surprising amount of water, so much that it gave Yarra Valley Water cause to send me Higher Water Usage Alert with my last bill.  It turned out that the washer was hugely degraded and the pins holding the mechanism were rusted through. So he managed to tear out the rusted pins, replace the washer and improvise new pins from wire to reinstall it.  The whole visit was only $50, a huge bargain and I trust the quality of his work.  Three cheers for tradies you can trust!
  I hung out my laundry and then cut my nails while watching Alex & Emma on my computer screen.  Then I did a little paperwork, packed an overnight bag and headed off for a relaxing dinner at Cafe 58.  Gub had gone out a while earlier for a meeting with some friends of hers so the Cambridge Rower and I proceeded in to town together.  It was nice to get to spend an hour with my future brother-in-law just to chat undistracted and get to know one another a little better.  We found a park on Johnston Street almost opposite Cafe 58 and headed in.
  We were brought water and a bowl of prawn crackers and an ice bucket for my Puddleduck Bazil Signature Sauvignon Blanc which was lovingly selected in Tasmania last year.  Shortly after we arrived Mr Smart joined us, having caught the tram in, and then just 15 minutes later, Gub arrived.  By that time the rest of us had already decided on entrees to be shared and perused the ample menu.  We shared our choices with Gub and were able to suggest possible mains for her.
  The food as always, was amazing and delicious.  Just look how excited Gub was by it!  Needless to say, they had to roll us all out at the end of yet another fantastic meal.


  After dinner Gub and the Cambridge Rower headed back to my place and Mr Smart and I went back to his.  I got spoilt as I got to try out the 3D mode on Mr Smart's new monitor.  I watched a section of Avatar, followed by a section of The Avengers and then we settled in to watch Melbourne Victory play Perth Glory.  Victory were victorious in part because Glory failed to be glorious.

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast at lunchtime was a quarter cup of Carmen's Classic Fruit & Nut Muesli with Jalna Greek yoghurt, pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds, two small plums and the flesh of one passionfruit followed by a small cup of orange juice.
  • Dinner Entree was, prawn crackers, a curry puff, a satay chicken skewer, two minced beef wrapped in betel leaf, two pieces of rice paper roll, two pieces of spring roll and two slices of fish cake with sweet chilli sauce.  I also had a small glass of the Sav Blanc.
  • Dinner Mains were Chinese broccoli in oyster sauce, plum duck, black pepper lamb, chilli kangaroo and basil chicken all served with coconut rice.  Yummy!
  • After dinner back at Mr Smart's I had a very generous glass more of the Sav Blanc, a small wedge of Red Hill Cheese's Point Nepean with cumin and six salted macadamia nuts (thanks MinxB!).

  So that's it for today.  A good day in general and a great dinner with great people.  I will no doubt be reading a little tonight, it's already midnight but the Liverpool v. Norwich match doesn't start for two more hours!  Good thing we don't have to be up too early tomorrow.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment