Monday, September 24, 2012

Sept 24 - Ran Out of Time

  Cold in the office this morning! Only 16°C (60.8°F... yes Uppy, I know that's not cold to you Michiganders and Michigeese).  As a result, my sub right-hand gal and I scooted over to The Reject Shop and depleted their stocks of polar fleece blankets.  The 127 x 152cm ones were only $5 so I got one to keep at work for cold mornings and one to take home for snuggling on the couch (not that I seem to get much couch time these days).
  Work was pretty good today, I finished off a few nagging tasks and prepared for my accrual deadline tomorrow.  Tomorrow I am teaching my my sub right-hand gal the process so that she can do it for the next couple of months, then on Wednesday I am teaching the same process to a girl from another shopping centre as she's not quite confident about all facets of it.  I like teaching but it does mean I have to be careful about managing my own workload.  Time has a habit of getting away from me.
  Did a few errands on my lunch break today the highlight being that I bought myself a set of Spalding 2kg neoprene-coated dumbbells.  I presume that the smiling lady and lilac colour is Spalding's idea of weights designed for the female fitness market.  There were also 1kg and 3kg dumbbells in 'feminine colours' but I picked 2kg as a starting point.  I've begun reading sections of the online Weight Training for Dummies to get an idea of what I should be doing and how.
  I came home to a mega-electricity bill, a product of the gas heating being off all winter, but also the good news that I've been made a Choice voting member.  I like being a Choice member and I'm looking forward to getting a bit more involved in it.  Not a lot more though, I'm struggling to get everything done as it is!  I ate dinner early, intending to exercise afterwards as that seemed to give a positive outcome on my blood sugar.  However... due to my propensity toward browsing on the net, I spent the next hour and a half or so browsing imgur.com and looking at all the new pictures.  It was 8pm before I knew it and I really wanted to make my new batch of chilli tonight, so off I headed to do that.
  This batch was to be a little spicer than the last.  It was made with:
500g extra lean beef mince
200g sliced mushrooms
4 small carrots, grated
2 small zucchini, grated
3 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
3 x 400g cans beans, drained (I used kidney beans, cannellini beans and chickpeas)
1 x 310g can corn kernels, drained
1 x 140g can tomato paste
2 x 46g Maggi Chilli Con Carne Mix dissolved in one cup of hot water
  This is a one pot chilli.  I used my big non-stick pasta pot and everything was pretty much added in that order after first browning the mince in a little olive oil spray and then I simmered it for quite a while to thicken it up and let the veggies absorb all the spicy flavours.  Mr Smart may well need to bring his Tabasco sauce as it's probably still not spicy enough for him, but it's now plenty spicy for me!  It made nine serves just a little over one and a half cups per serve so my freezer is a lot fuller now.
  With that crossed off today's list, I put some laundry in a big tub with some Napisan to soak it overnight.  They are white clothes, particularly t-shirts, that have got that all too familiar yellowing to them about the collar.  If an overnight soak doesn't fix them up then they may well be bound for the bin.  Mind you, since I hate washing whites they may well end up there anyway.  I haven't worn some of these things in so long that they might now be too big for me!  I think it's nearly time to do a wardrobe cull.  I certainly don't want to go back to fitting into any of the over-sized stuff again, so I may as well chuck it or donate it while I'm feeling good.
  After all that it was already quarter to ten so I had to get started on the blog so I don't think I'll be exercising tonight.  Lesson learned though, I have now instituted a 'No imgur before exercise' rule because I would have had time had I not been sucked in to a browsing vortex!  Oh well, we all have these little things that distract us.  I just have to make sure I don't let them waste my time.  I'm trying to do so much these days that I really need to watch how my evenings are spent.
  The thought occurs though that I don't seem to be getting much mental 'down time'.  I'm not sure what to do about that to be honest.  Re-watch Lord of the Rings perhaps, that was pretty relaxing curled up on the couch under a big fluffy blanket.  I know I made the decision to focus on my health and weight loss this year and that's what I'm doing but mental health still has to play a part in that and I'm beginning to feel that I'm perhaps taking on too much.  Just not sure what can be cut (apart from imgur obviously).

  Today's food and exercise were:

  • Breakfast was yoghurt, berries, muesli, slivered almonds and pumpkin seeds.
  • Morning snack was 40g Yumi's Eggplant Dip with cucumber sticks and five Vita-Weat wholegrain rice crackers.
  • Lunch was a Mission Wholegrain Wrap spread with about 30g Yumi's Hummus then topped with 60g of thin-sliced honey leg ham, a sliced tomato, Lebanese cucumber and alfalfa sprouts.
  • Afternoon snacks were 125g of fresh blueberries, half a dried peach, two brazil nuts, two hazelnuts, two pecan halves and four almonds.
  • Dinner was a 430g bowl of Coles Creamy Tomato Soup with a toasted cheese sandwich made of two slices of Bürgen Wholemeal & Seeds Bread and two slices of Bega Extra Light Tasty cheese followed by 20g Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.

  So the sun has well and truly set on this Monday and I am bedtime bound.  Tune in tomorrow for another thrilling episode of the often mundane details of my everyday life!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment