Friday, September 21, 2012

Sept 21 - Feeling Flat

  It was a draining day today.  I spent a large portion of it doing people management stuff, which while it can be important, is very time-consuming and feels quite unproductive when it takes me away from doing my actual work.  I get the development planning bit, it's good to think about what you'd like to achieve over the next year, but the rest of it.. ugh.
  As a result of all that, I ended up getting home late and felt really flat.  Lethargic, down in the dumps and unmotivated.  This has been a rough week weight loss wise too.  I've not really lost much which is a little disheartening as I'm still being relatively 'good'.  There are a few possible reasons I suppose, kangaroo salami is way less calories than regular salami but it's still a lot higher than ham, tuna or salmon, it's probably time to ramp up my exercise a bit higher and I also had those two huge meals last weekend.
  All the same, I'm getting nervous about a plateau arriving and it's been a tough week for convincing myself to keep at it.  Especially now that there are two Wagon Wheels in the house tormenting me with their chocolate jammy marshmallow goodness.  Don't ask me why I bought them, I just wanted one.  I've held off eating them knowing that they are there any time I choose.  I just haven't chosen to yet.
  The support I get from all of you really helps keep me going, so I appreciate that, and the tactics and ideas that come through to me are also great.  At the end of next week I'll be seeing my doctor and getting the first round of re-tests on all my bloods and I'll be making sure that I start seeing a dietitian in October too.  I'm hoping that will help me.
  This week I've also had trouble with repetition.  Cooking in bulk is fantastic news for my budget and it makes planning meals very easy, but it does get very very boring.  I scheduled in two different breakfasts this week and I have to say, each one gave me a sincere foodgasm.  Yoghurt, berries and fibre-toppers is a good meal but facing that bowl of pink every day is seriously wearing on the soul.
  The wraps are not such a problem as I vary the fillings weekly, though I'll confess I do find photographing them a bit of a trial!  If I'm taking a photo of one folded up they have a tendency to unwrap unless I balance a banana on the end of them, and I don't always have a banana.  I might try switching out a piece of fruit for some veggie sticks next week for a bit of a change or even just some different fruits.  I've always wanted to try star fruit.
  I seriously considered having another exercise free day today, but in the end I'm glad I got on.  I wasn't in a Buffy mood, so I watched the footy instead.  Who knew I could enjoy sports on my own?  Apparently I'm developing a taste for it.

Today's food and exercise were:
  • Breakfast was yoghurt, berries and Fibre Toppers.
  • Lunch was a Mission Wholegrain Wrap spread with Yumi Hummus then topped with kangaroo salami, mushroom, cucumber and tomato.  Also, a kiwi fruit with skin on.
  • Dinner was pan fried lamb leg steak (about 220g raw weight) fried with olive oil spray, lemon juice, fennel seeds and a dash of celery salt served with steamed carrots, broccoli and sugarsnap peas.
  • Dessert was 20g of Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.
  • Exercise was 40 minutes of Aussie Rules semi final.  Fess up... Who sprinkled Valium on Collingwood's Weetbix this morning?
  I didn't feel so bad after eating and doing the cross trainer.
I think because I ate so late my blood sugar was probably quite low by that time.  I had lunch at about noon and didn't eat for eight hours after that.  I was so busy trying to finish my deadlines that I forgot to stop and have my afternoon snack!  I have noticed a correlation between low blood sugar and lethargy.

  My blood sugar reading after dinner and my exercise was only 4.8!  I may have to consider doing my exercise after food more often as that's a really positive effect on the reading.  Usually I eat my dinner after exercise and my post-meal reading skirts around the high-sixes or low-sevens depending on what I've eaten.  Food for thought.
  I'm definitely glad it's the weekend.  This one is a bit of a rarity, I've actually not got much on!  Weekends for the rest of the year seem to be filling up rapidly.  So I'll be catching up on house work, planning and cooking for the week ahead and maybe the final instalment of Lord of the Rings and something yummy for dinner with Mr Smart.
  Hope you all have a relaxing one too.
  Jess

3 comments:

  1. Hey hon, not great that you had a flat day, but 3 things that might help: 1. It's scientific fact that we retain water (and associated weight) during our lady-phase, so keep your chin up re: the plateau 2. I often have fruit and yoghurt for brekky with muesli on it but change the fruit and yoghurt flavours. Just a thought if you wanted variety. and 3. the exercise after eating is also better for your body from an exercise point of view because then your muscles have a lovely high-level of glucose available to them! Anyhoo - have enjoyed catching up on the last few days worth and keep at it. Just think of how kind you're being to your body (you only get one after all) and try not to get hung up on the numbers. Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Some good ideas and some things I hadn't thought of, though lady phase was last week. Love you too xox

      Delete
  2. As for changing the brekkie....that is a good idea, but if you have eggs for a week, you can't have bacon with it. Try poached eggs on lightly buttered crumpets!!! YUM!!! As for the wagon wheels, cut them into quarters and have one piece once per week.....they will last for ages and may ease your craving for them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete