Friday, September 14, 2012

Sept 14 - Hooray For The Weekend

  I got out of bed a little earlier than usual as the sound of Dad leaving for work woke me up.  That always happens when Dad stays but it actually doesn't bother me one bit.  It's kind of comforting knowing I'll be that little bit more alert and productive when my parents are around.  It left me enough time after getting ready to empty the dishwasher so that Mum wouldn't feel compelled to do it while I was at work.
  Work today was pretty good thought they seem to blur into one another lately.  My priorities at the moment are definitely skewed far more toward my health and my family.  I am still making sure I do a good job at work.  I like my work and I'd hate to let anyone down, but I think for the time being I need to continue to work on myself as top priority.
  I do have to think about my development plan over the weekend.  I'm not really a 'career' type person but I still enjoy learning new tasks so I'm trying to think about what sort of sideways learning I might enjoy, or what I could learn from other people in my team.  Ops Man J was wandering about the car park with a large steel pole unblocking drains this morning.  It was a nice morning to be outside so that kind of looked fun and it wouldn't hurt me to learn some practical plumbing skills.
  It had been a long week for everyone so drinks were handed around at the end of the day.  We sat around our cubicles shooting the breeze, sharing frustrations and thoughts on each others' issues.  There is a pretty even split of gender where I work, but the Friday Night Drinky of choice is the West Coast Cooler.  It's a bit of a joke amongst the team, but they are tasty and low alcohol so even the bloke-iest of the boys enjoys one.
  When I returned from work, despite my efforts Mum had found things to busy herself with anyway.  The bathroom was straightened and wiped clean, the kitchen bench was cleared and ready for food preparation, the office floor had been substantially neatened, things had been vacuumed!  It was nice to come home to that, even if a little part of my brain went "Oh no! How will I find all my stuff".  I comforted that voice by reminding it that I couldn't find anything anyway.
  After my cross-trainer, during which Mum tried to escape the overpowering volume of Buffy, we set about making dinner.  I was glad she was there.  I'm still relatively new to cooking fish so it was good to have a second opinion on whether it was done or not.  I've decided I like swordfish.  It has a swirly pattern and it was moist and soft and I only found one tiny round flat bone.
  After dinner I went off to write my blog and Mum and Dad settled themselves in front of the TV to watch the Crows vs. Dockers AFL quarter final.  It seems to be a close game.  There was plenty of commentary from Mum in the first half floating through to my ears.  Mostly about rangas* for some strange reason...  At three quarter time the Crows are a little ahead, my Mum is asleep on the couch and my Dad is comfortably nestled on the couch, feet up on an ottoman, wearing a large deep red Snuggie.
  • Breakfast was yoghurt, berries, fibre toppers and slivered almonds.
  • Lunch was a Mission Five Grain Wrap spread with a heaped tablespoon of Yumi Hummus, topped with 90g of sliced roast beef, cucumber slices and baby spinach.  I served it with a side of carrot sticks (one whole medium carrot) and some extra leftover cucumber and then I had a small slightly ripe banana.  It was too ripe for my tastes really but they had a shortage of greenish ones today.
  • Afternoon snack was a kiwi fruit with the skin on.
  • Friday night drinky was a 250ml West Coast Cooler.
  • Exercise was 42 minutes on the cross trainer,
    Buffy Season 4 has begun!
  • Dinner was a swordfish steak (approx. 210g raw weight) pan-fried with a little olive oil, lemon juice and fennel seeds and serve with a naked salad and three big fat yummy steamed asparagus spears dressed with a tiny amount of homemade vinaigrette.
  • Dessert was 17g of Klingele Balance dark chocolate with cocoa nibs.
  Tomorrow will hopefully be a productive day.  My plan is to make picnic food for Sunday (the final Mali hunt) and catch up on a little more housework while Mum and Dad head off to Bertie's to visit their beloved grandson.  It might be a bit easy to tackle some of the housework tomorrow thanks to Mum!
  Sleep well all, and have a wonderful weekend.
  Jess

*For my overseas friends, ranga is an Aussie term for a person with ginger hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment