Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sept 19 - Unexpected Fun

"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper."
- Adelle Davis
  I like this quotation partly because I love a great big breakfast, but also because it's a nice way to imagine something I've often heard in relation to weight loss:  Eat a big meal in the morning, medium at lunch and a small dinner.  I'm sure you've all heard it all too.
  Essentially, to lose weight you only have to ensure that calories in is less than calories out.  All the other tricks and tips have such a minimal impact on the outcome that you may as well not get distracted by them.  It may well be sensible to eat less in the evenings because at least then you'll be hungry while you're sleeping and don't care but I'm not sure if the idea is otherwise particularly helpful for weight loss.
  I do however, think that eating meals in this size order may well have a positive impact on blood sugar readings.  Marly said on Monday that the evening after-meal blood sugar reading is usually the highest one for the day due in part to the size of the meal consumed (and obviously also what the meal was).  I've been eating relatively small meals in the evenings on my good days but I still tend to have larger meals on the weekends or when I'm in company or eating out.  When planning for the weeks ahead, I will consider adjusting my lunch to dinner ratio in favour of lunch being the bigger meal and see what the end result is.
  I had some unexpected fun tonight.  Mr Smart messaged me in the early evening and decided to come over.  We played Scrabble and to say I lost is a gross understatement.  I was attacked by vowels the whole game and Mr Smart played a seven letter word on his second turn!  I was doomed from the very beginning.  By the 5th turn I was down more than 100 points, by the 10th turn I was down 200!  It was so horrible it was comical.


Today's food and exercise were:
  • Breakfast was a homemade bacon and egg roll!  A Coles rustic roll topped with Rosella reduced-joule fruit chutney, one slice of Bega Extra Light Tasty cheese, fried egg and two slices of short-cut bacon.
  • Morning snack was a kiwi fruit with the skin on.
  • Lunch was a Mission Wholegrain Wrap spread with Yumi Hummus then topped with kangaroo salami, mushroom, cucumber and iceberg lettuce.
  • Afternoon snack was two brazil nuts, two hazelnuts, two pecan nut halves, four almonds and a dried apricot half and a passionfruit a couple of hours later.
  • Exercise was 40 minutes of Buffytastic fun on the cross trainer. She battled a teensy weensy demon!
  • Dinner was a bowl of homemade veggie heavy chile con carne accompanied by a glass of chocolate shiraz.


  Final score... 235 to 407.  But as my mother said when I texted her mid-game,
"You've got to love a man who can beat you at Scrabble".

  Jess

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, I think I need to know what chocolate Shiraz is, and where I can get some!! Props on the 14kg too! Have just been catching up on the last few entries xx

    ReplyDelete