Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sept 18 - Angrypants

  I had a frustrating day at work today.  I definitely had my angry pants on and I'm quite sure my new right-hand gal didn't even know I knew that many swear words!
  Angrypants moment one:  I was supposed to participate in a conference call and webinar this morning about mental health (oh, the irony).  I gave up fifteen minutes in because all I could hear was someone breathing heavily into their handset, someone else typing and someone else constantly whispering to people interrupting them at their desk!
  If you're going to be on a conference call during which the aim is to listen to a speaker then for bleep's sake, use the sodding mute function, that is what it is there for!  So much for looking out for the signs of flagging mental health.  I think when you are getting ready to pull your own hair out that it's a bit late for that.  Maybe someone should have been checking to see if I had any mental health left after that experience!
  Angrypants moment two:  I had a sinking feeling when I received a phone message "Please call AGL, Reference number blah blah blah".  I knew what it would be about and a feeling of dread engulfed me.  This same issue kept Ops Man J on the phone for an hour and a half last week.  An ongoing issue since July, as yet unresolved.  They've been supposed to be 'getting a supervisor to call us back' for most of that time.
  I returned the call and firstly got lost in the mire of mechanical answer machines.. 'Press one for x, press two for y, press three if you're very quickly losing the will to live'.  Eventually ended up in the wrong department of course, so after ten minutes on hold the first thing they did was put me back on hold to transfer me to the right department.  Gave my reference number to someone who knew nothing about the issue and had to put me back on hold for another ten minutes while they 'read the notes'.
  Eventually worked out, after over an hour, that the whole issue boiled down to them having the incorrect shop number.  It was out by one bloody digit, but of course they couldn't just fix it and proceed... no no... I had to call another department, then call them back, then get our sub-contractor's electrician to resubmit his paperwork!  That poor man has been dealing with them for months.  I'd be surprised if he had any hair left.
  By the end of my two and a bit hours dealing with them I was ready to say to hell with it all, pack up and go home.  Fortunately my boss chose that moment to go over my incremental pay adjustment with me.  Then I talked over the AGL issue and the headway I had made with Ops Man J and I was reminded that luckily I work with a fantastic bunch of people.  Yup folks, despite the morons I might occasionally encounter in the course of my duties, my team mates are gold.
  Of course, it was still a damned frustrating day, so I still wanted to not exercise and to eat a Snickers bar, two Wagon Wheels and a 190g bag of Cheetos Cheese & Bacon Balls for dinner.  But I didn't.

Today's food and exercise were:
  • Breakfast was yoghurt, berries, muesli and pumpkin seeds.  Tomorrow I'm making a cooked breakfast!
  • Lunch was a Mission Wholegrain Wrap spread with Yumi Hummus then topped with kangaroo salami, mushroom, red capsicum and iceberg lettuce
  • Afternoon snacks were a slightly unripe banana, a passionfruit and an orange, spread across 3 hours.
  • Exercise was 42 minutes on the cross-trainer.
    Curse that Parker Abrams for taking advantage of Buffy, he was very nearly angrypants moment three!
  • Dinner was homemade pumpkin soup and a Coles seven seeds and grains bread roll spread with about a teaspoonful of butter, maybe a slightly heaped teaspoonful, I'm not sure.
  • Dessert was four dried peach halves and 17g Klingele Balance dark chocolate with cocoa nibs.
    Probably more sugar than I should have consumed in the evening but still better than what I wanted to eat!
  I did some dishes tonight but there are still not enough hours in the day to work and have the home life that I would like to.  On that note though, the boss is taking me to a Work Life Balance breakfasty thing next month which looks good.  Maybe I'll pick up a few tips.  I certainly hope so as my fuse is getting shorter and shorter when it comes to dealing with incompetency in others.  Though that thought does make me pause and take a deep breathe.  I'm not perfect either and I doubt I was their favourite customer for the day.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment