Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sept 1 - Spring Is Sprung


          The spring is sprung, the sun is ris',
          I wonder where the birdies is.
          Some say the bird is on the wing,
          but that is quite absurd,
          for I have seen it for myself,
          the wing is on the bird.

  A short poem, often attributed to Ogden Nash but I haven't been able to verify this for certain.  Also there appears to be multiple variations on the wording, but this is one my dad always used to recite in a deliberately daft accent.  Authorship aside, it was a beautiful spring day today.  The sun was shining, the birds were indeed chirping and cawing and my apple tree is blossoming.
  I didn't really discover all this until the early afternoon.  I slept in, I got up and mucked about on the computer and went back to bed for a while.  I called Teddy in Boston again, he's moving house tomorrow and is dealing with a whole heap of change in his own life so it was the last chance we'll get for a while.  I finally got out of bed proper at about 1pm.
  I felt a bit peckish by this time so I made myself a late brunch of scrambled egg whites on a hummus lined wholemeal wrap, breakfast burrito style!  I was thinking it would taste weird without the egg yolks (used in the Chocolate & Pretzel Slice) but the hummus brightened it up nicely. 
It still tasted suitably eggy and the wholemeal wrap withstood the moisture content without disintegrating.
  After eating there was just time to do a load of laundry (good thing too, I was running damn low on work clothes) before heading down to Bertie's place.  I took her some chocolately delicousness ensuring there was none left in my house to tempt me.  I didn't really feel like any today though, my blood sugar last night was pretty darn high (10.1) what with the two big bad meals and it was only just down to 6.0 by the time I woke up this morning.  I think that's contributed to my general lethargy today.
  Bertie's husband is working nights at the moment and she had a work function tonight that she couldn't get out of so I came down to babysit.  My nephew and I watched the latter half of Wall-E (he was already watching it when I arrived) then he showed me how high he could jump on his trampoline.  Also how fast he could 'bounce run' and how high he could somersault.  There were also pewpew noises as he shot lasers at the imaginary monsters that he was chasing.
  Next I put on Toy Story 3 and ate my homemade pumpkin soup with a lovely seedy bread roll spread with Lite Olive Grove spread while my nephew played with his Toy Story 3 toys and watched it.  About halfway through I noticed his freshly washed Thomas the Tank Engine fleecy blanket.  With that I was able to convince him to get on the recliner for the remainder of the movie.
  My nephew was looking pretty drowsy by the end of the movie but he was still alert enough to ask "Can I watch McQueen now?" so on went Cars 2.
I let his cat Bender in and turned off any lights we didn't need on (almost all of them but I needed one to type by).  Twenty minutes later, he was conked out clutching his water bottle and Bender had curled herself up by his side.
  I waited until the end of Cars 2 to carry him through to bed to make sure he was well and truly asleep and then I put on Antz.  Not out of any particular desire to watch it, though I quite enjoy it as an animated film, but rather tonight to fill in the silence.  Sometimes silence bugs me and tonight is one of those nights.  I might do some laundry folding or DVD sorting for Bertie while I wait for her to get home before going to bed.  I'm staying the night tonight so that she and my nephew and I can all go Mali hunting tomorrow morning!  I'm looking forward to finding the next ten!
  I didn't exercise today, but I didn't really eat much either, my blood sugar was back down to 6.5 after my soup so I'm happy to call it a win for today.  I am now typing with a large fluffy cat on my arms, occassionally biting my left wrist. Apparently Bender is not a big fan of my removing her tiny human hot water bottle.  Maybe I'd better get her a snack...
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment