Monday, March 4, 2013

Mar 4 - Jess In The City

  City driving, oh how I've missed you... Pat yourselves on the back if you correctly identified that as sarcasm.  If you didn't, then what on earth is wrong with you?  I got up early this morning and actually took time to have a proper breakfast for the first time in a while.  I left home at 6:45am (not bad considering that I'm not usually even awake by then) and I got in to work at 7:30am.  That's 26 kilometres in 45 minutes, 57km per hour or thereabouts.  That's actually what I would consider a good run.  I didn't want to kill anybody by the end of it and traffic was not heavy in a difficult way.

Morning Sunlight on the City

  Given the time I arrived, I was unsurprised to find myself one of the first people in the office this morning.  Only the maintenance officer had arrived before me but fortunately he knew who I was so he let me in to get settled at my new desk.  I pottered around reviewing, rearranging and putting up a few personal effects until reception got in and presented me with my new login details.
  My new boss took me on a tour of the complex.  It covered everything on the block of Lonsdale, Swanston, Little Lonsdale and Russell.  The block used to be the Queen Victoria Women's Hospital and still hosts one heritage listed building from that original use.  It's a beautiful old building.  I will try to get a good picture of it for you in the coming weeks and tell you a little bit more about what it was and what it is now.
  When we arrived back at the office, my trainer for the day had arrived.  She's a much loved coworker and she and I go back seven years, to the start of my career with the company.  Having that sort of relationship and knowing each other's backgrounds certainly helps make a handover go quickly.  The first task we looked at was the car park, which as you can imagine in the city, is a big and complex beastie.  That took us up to lunch time so we broke for an hour and I was let loose on the precinct on my own.

QV Square

  I went to Woolies which is on the 'Undercroft' level, two levels under QV Square, along with a Big W and a couple of other little things.  It is a huge Woolies store.  I had no idea there was so much space down there.  It's apparently the only full line supermarket in the CBD which makes it very attractive to city dwellers.  It certainly seemed that way from the queues too!  Each self-serve register bank was about twenty people deep.  I grabbed some fruit for the week and got the heck out.  I made a note to self to do my daily grocery trip in the mornings from now on.
  I went up to the extensive food court on level one and grabbed lunch from Sumo Salad.  I'm excited that there are some healthy options in the food court but I'll still have to be careful not to get carried away with buying lunch every day.  There is also a BreadTop which is going to be a constant temptation, as will Chinatown, a mere street away.
  The food court level being called level one is a bit funny.  See the centre is on a sloping block.  The food court is nearest to ground level on Lonsdale Street, but if you approach from Little Lonsdale then you arrive mid way between level two and level three!  It's rather complicated getting my head around it with all the little laneways in it too but I expect I will have it memorised soon.
  I ate my lunch in the office lunch area which overlooks the State Library.  Well, I say overlooks, but it's taller than we are so really I'm gazing at the wall but it's still nice to be able to see out a window and know that the weather and the world are chugging along.  It makes a very nice change from the concrete bunker that was my previous office.
  We got back to it after lunch and started reviewing manual billing and a few other odds and bods.  We were never going to get through it all in one day so my trainer opted to come back on Wednesday which gives me tomorrow to clean up, review, get settled and prepare a list of questions for Wednesday.
  At afternoon tea time, we were summoned to the middle of the office for a little welcome.  They got a lovely box full of little mini cupcakes!  I had two, a red velvet one with tiny red heart sprinkles and a plain one with cheesecake icing and what I can only assume were blue mouse ears made out of sugar.  I told the guys a little bit about myself and they asked a few interesting questions which I happily answered.
  The first thing they asked was why do you keep photographing your food, so I told them about my weight loss and the blog.  None of them could believe I still had 26+ kilograms yet to lose which was somewhat gratifying.  I was asked what my very first job was so I told them about working for Baulderstones on my school holidays during the last two or three years of high school.  And someone asked me what is something that they wouldn't know or suspect about me so I revealed my tattoo.  For some reason most people don't suspect me of having one.


  Time marched on and in no time at all it was 4:30pm and time for me to head home.  I know that might seem early, but technically I should've finished at 4pm due to my early start.  The traffic was already getting yucky and I could feel the teeth-grinding of every vehicle inhabitant.  I worried the whole way home that someone would rear-end my poor little green machine.  The drive home took 55 minutes along the same route which takes me down to about 49km per hour.  Still not terrifically bad, but bad enough that I'm looking forward to trying the public transport options for next week!

  Today's food:

  • Breakfast was a quarter cup of Carmen's Classic fruit and nut muesli with Roaming Cow reduced fat Greek-style yoghurt with pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and a few craisins.
  • Lunch was a large Sumo Salad box half-filled with tuna and dill pasta salad and the other half with pumpkin, beetroot and feta salad.  I also had a large yellow-flesh peach.
  • Afternoon snacks were a small banana, the two aforementioned mini cupcakes and a 125g punnet of fresh blueberries.
  • Dinner was a serve of homemade bolognase sauce (with no pasta).
 
  A pretty quiet evening tonight, I did some laundry and a load of dishes.  I'm ramping up the weekday cleaning a bit as I'll be unable to do any this weekend.  Apart from that I just played Words With Friends with Mr Smart, Earnest and my QV predecessor.  I have now beaten Earnest and my QV predecessor at least once each.  Victory over Mr Smart continues to elude me.
  Sleep tight everyone!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment