Monday, March 25, 2013

Mar 25 - The Big Issue

  I headed into work later than normal today.  I can start any time between 7:00am and 10:00am so I thought I might try out the 10:00am start today.  I set my alarm for 8:00am last night thinking "Oh yeah, you'll probably just wake up at seven anyway.."  Nope!  I was sound asleep until it went off.  This BPV thing has really knocked me about it seems.  Well that and the minimal sleep I allow myself on a regular basis.
  The train I caught just after nine was still pretty busy, but there were still seats available.  When I asked, a lady was nice enough to move her diary for me so that I could sit forward facing.  I say nice enough, but really I think it's a bit cheeky to be using extra seats for your personal possessions on what was quite clearly still a pretty full train.  I wanted to sit forward facing as though I felt up to going into work today, I am still being very careful.  Hanging my head down and lifting it suddenly up, or moving my head quickly to the side are both still not terribly comfortable and I don't want anything to set it off again.
  Heading into work later was a different experience, more relaxed at any rate, which resulted in two unexpected benefits and two minor events.  The two unexpected benefits or 'mini-joys' were that the sun was already up when I left home which made me feel warm and happy and, I got to see a dog on the train with its owner, a friendly lady in a red and white striped top with tattoos of Dr Seuss illustrations up and down her arm.
  The first of the two minor events, both of which involve helping strangers in some way, was that as we pulled out of Parliament station, first stop on the underground City Loop, I overheard a passenger nervously ask someone if he was on the right train for Melbourne Central (which is my stop).  He sounded like he had no idea where he was so when we both got off I asked if he needed help finding his next port of call.  He responded that he was a newbie from Auckland NZ and needed to find another train to Tottenham.  I'd never heard of Tottenham so I took him to the main station area and helped him find which line it was on, worked out which platform he needed to go to and explained how to get to it and then went on my way.  It felt good to be friendly and helpful.
  The second minor event was that I bought the Easter issue of The Big Issue this morning from a friendly well-spoken elderly lady on Swanston Street.  The Big Issue, for anyone who doesn't know, are an independent, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and creating job opportunities for homeless, marginalised and disadvantaged people.
Click here for the full story.
  I like The Big Issue, it's an interesting magazine, it's only $6 and I know that the person selling it gets to keep half of that for themselves.  I really support the aims of The Big Issue as it gives people a chance to do something productive to rescue themselves instead of begging on the streets.  I decided today that I would aim to buy The Big Issue every week.
  Work was a whirlwind of activity and I felt thoroughly defeated during the morning.  I felt blah for pretty much the whole day actually but I got through it.  I did indulge in a lunch purchased from BreadTop in an effort to cheer myself up a bit.  It worked.  I sat in the window of the office with the sunshine streaming through, read my copy of The Big Issue and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch break.  There was a little piece about the Melbourne Ska Orchestra in this issue.  Methinks I shall have to find some way of seeing them!
  I had a good run at the capex accruals in the afternoon, so I felt a bit more on top of things by the end of the day.  I think it's about the only thing I've managed to get in on time thus far.  They weren't perfect, I discovered two issues after I looked at some older items in a bit more detail, but they're nothing that can't be fixed in time for next month.
  The office gets rather quiet from 5:00pm which isn't altogether bad.  It's one of the side-effects experienced from a late start though as my work day didn't end until 6:30pm.  The late start does get me home rather late, but again the train voyage was a lot less hectic and I had a forward facing seat for the whole trip.  I think for sanity's sake I may start doing the later start more often.

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was a quarter cup of Carmen's Classic fruit and nut meusli with Jalna Vanilla low fat yoghurt and a sprinkling of craisins, sunflower seeds and slivered almonds.
  • Morning snacks were a yellow-flesh nectarine, a dried pear half, two Brazil nuts, two pecan nut halves, two hazelnuts, two cashews and four almonds.
  • Lunch was (clockwise from top-left) a barbecue pork bun, a pork floss bun, a double sausage bun and a pineapple coconut bun.  This is also in fact, the order in which I ate them.
  • Afternoon snack was a Royal Gala apple, cored and sliced.
  • Dinner was 200g of Sweet Solanato snacking tomatoes.  I still prefer the Perino snacking tomatoes but these were a nice change.
  • Dessert was 20g Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.


  I was a bit vague today, hence the number of photos I forgot to take.  At least I remembered the most important bit, the indulgent lunch.  Also, I ate tomatoes for dinner because it was nearly 10pm when I realised I'd forgotten to eat dinner.  Why did I forget to eat dinner?  Because Mum arrives tomorrow, so I changed the spare room bed sheets, washed the stripped linen and hung it out, did a load of dishes, sorted a box of fruit and veg from next door and generally tried to pretend that I'm a good housekeeper most of the time despite all evidence to the contrary.  I am pretty impressed that I got it all, and the blog, done before midnight.  Maybe I'll get my super woman cape someday after all.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment