Friday, March 29, 2013

Mar 29 - A Very Good Friday


  Off to a great start to the day with the table already set for Good Friday breakfast.  Hot cross buns, butter (real butter) and Easter eggs!  I made myself a lovely hot strong cup of Darjeeling tea and toasted two hot cross buns in the toaster oven.  While they browned  up under the glowing red elements I made a small selection of Easter eggs, two 17g hollow eggs, two tiny solid Crunchie eggs and two solid Cadbury dairy milk eggs.


  After lunch I headed off for lunch with Mr Smart and family.  Lunch started with a delicious slice that a friend of Mr Smart's sister had brought, a white chocolate and macadamia blondie (like a brownie but vanilla instead of chocolate).  I had about three pieces, it was so good.  This wasn't a great choice, I should have just had one, but today was a "yes" kind of day.

  Meals in Mr Smart's sister's household are always amazing and delicious, and this time I even got called in to help!  Apparently, according to the silver-tongued Mr Smart, I cook the saganaki so much better than him.  Yup, he suckered me in with flattery that cheesy.  So after we ate an entree of oysters au naturale (I had five, with lime juice) I got the kefalograviera fried up into saganaki to go on top of the salad, while Mr Smart's brother-in-law cooked all manner of things on the barbecue.  We had salad, prawns with a little chilli kick, snapper fillets with lemon and parsley, sausages and chops!  I had one small fish fillet, one large spicy pork sausage, two helpings of salad, and about nine prawns in the end.


  We had great fun throughout the day, watching Mr Smart's nephew play, and chatting and laughing.  I love relaxed gatherings like that.  Everyone had a great time and after lunch we congregated around the lounge room and had cups of tea and some more blondie slice.  I had two more pieces and it was extremely yummy dipped in tea!
  As the afternoon wended on Mr Smart Snr started to get a little weary so Mr Smart took him home and I followed soon after.  It was one of those sleepy afternoons so we curled up and had a nap for an hour or so before it was time for me to head off to my next foodie feast.
  It was around 7pm-ish I think before I got to TwoWrongs' house.  When he got to the next save point in Bioshock Inifinite (totally steampunk game by the way) we went out to eat at this cool California-style Mexican place in Hawthorn, High Tech Burrito.  It's run by a native San Franciscan and the burritos are precision rolled!  I had the Cabo Supreme which had my choice of meat (pork carnitas), fresh guacamole, melted cheese, pico de gallo, line sour cream, in a grilled flour tortilla and we shared some corn chips with hot salsa and some of there 'nuclear' salsa.
  While we eating we were gobsmacked when the god of all hipsters came in.  He had white-blonde hair, pasty pale white skin and a slight build, white pants, black belt, white Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirt and chunky white square rim glasses.  He was utterly amazing and we both imagined that normal black-clad hipsters must all fall to their knees in worship at the mere sight of this godly creature.  When he opens his mouth, surely the most beautiful music must come out.. but don't worry, you've probably never heard of it.


  We headed back via Cold Rock Ice Cream for dessert!  It's a cool place.  They have cold stone boards and you pick your ice-cream flavour(s) and then you pick your 'mix-inx' like peanuts, chocolate, lollies and then put it on the rock and smash the mix-ins into it and through it.  I had the double-chocolate ice-cream with white Freddo frog and fruit tingles.  It was really good.


  After that we went back to TwoWrongs' and listened to a whole heap of Shpongle.  Shpongle are a psytrance (psychedelic trance, a type of electronic dance music) group from England.  I'm not big into electronica but the band included jazz flautist Raja Ram and so most of their music includes flute, and there is certainly something soothing about the repetitive nature of the music.
  We had a good evening chatting and listening to music and it was rather late before I thought, 'Oh dear, I have a small child arriving to my house in the morning' (my nephew), so I headed home with two borrowed DVDs (My Neighbour Totoro and Porco Rosso both from the Disney of Japan, Studio Ghibli) and a new found appreciation for psytrance.
  Jess

PS: I also had one glass of champagne and cranberry juice with lunch and one Koko Black speckled quail egg (Easter egg with a praline centre and crispy coating).

No comments:

Post a Comment