Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mar 15 - Friday Night Disney

  An equally easy going commute this morning, I got a few short stories read and it was another peaceful morning in the city.  As I walked across Swanston Street to work I noticed this sculpture in the State Library gardens.  It's a bunyip, which, for the benefit of my international readers, is an Australian mythological creature.  He seems a simple kind of fellow in this particular depiction.


  Work was busy but I got through the first stage of getting things under control.  My sales process is done for the month, I listened to the 18 voice mails that had accumulated since my predecessor left and most importantly I finished entering about and inch and a half pile thick of invoices.  I even had time to walk them down to the Express Post box so that they would be with the Accounts Payable department by Monday.  A pretty productive day now that I reflect on it.
  This afternoon as everyone was winding down and having a drink I had a really interesting discussion with the centre's accountant.  It was all about the concepts of economics, social conscience of government (or lack thereof) and the equality of women actual, perceived and opinions on the ideal.  I'm going to get along with my office roomie just fine.
  The office actually emptied out pretty fast today.  We were already a skeleton crew and there were a lot of early starters among the skeleton.  By five I think I was the last one there.  Of course I technically finished at four-thirty but tonight I was sticking around the city waiting for my evening to begin.  In fact, I was waiting on TwoWrongs.
  TwoWrongs rocked up about half-past six.  The poor thing had to come from the south-eastern suburbs to the city via Epping to run an errand for work.  Not the nicest way to finish off your work week so he was definitely in need of good cheer.
  We went over to Schnitz at Melbourne Central for a quick dinner and we people-watched at the street below us while we talked and ate.  I did have a small chips and aioli with my schnitzel wrap, but I halved the consequences by sharing them with my compadre.
  After dinner it was off to indulge in a bit of retail therapy!  It was payday today after all.  We went to JB HiFi on Elizabeth Street and I got myself a copy of the special edition of Hugh Laurie's blues album Let Them Talk which is as divine as the man himself.  I also bought the Triple J Hottest 100 #20 for Gub (a belated but planned birthday gift) and Pixar Shorts Volume 2 on Bluray.  Yes! Volume 2 is finally out!!
  Then we meandered back to Melbourne Central and I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a 250ml bottle of Verbena Shower Gel at L'Occitane, $28 to be exact.  I had been desirous of this particular shower gel for about the last six years (thank heavens they have kept making it all that time).  I figured to myself, I'm worth a little spoiling from time to time and it felt good to buy myself an indulgence that wasn't edible.
  We continued on down Swanston Street past two different contact jugglers (both quite good), a variety of buskers (please girls, stop belabouring your vowel sounds), freaks, geeks, business men and women, clubbers fuelling up for the night ahead, scantily clad youths, a girl dressed up like a ragdoll and late night welders up a man lift.  Just goes to show you what a mixed bag Melbourne is, particularly at night.
  The aim of walking down Swanston Street was to get dessert.  TwoWrongs knew of a teeny fold-up shop La Petite Crêperie.  It is in fact extremely petite as dining experiences go, almost more a 'hot dog vendor' than a shop.  I abstained from ordered one for myself but I did steal a couple of bites of TwoWrongs' salted caramel and almond crepe.  It was good, but a little short on the saltiness.
  We headed back up Swanston Street now, resolved to head home and blob out on the couch watching Disney.  You have to appreciate a fella who loves his Disney.  We stopped off at Starbucks so TwoWrongs could caffeinate prior to the drive home and I paused to reflect.  I hadn't yet gone home, and was in very close proximity to work, but I was definitely feeling I had 'left' work.  It turned out that it was really good to relax and unwind before heading home.
  We headed back to my place and on went one of our mutual favourites, The Emperor's New Groove.  It had to be this movie as earlier in the evening at JB HiFi, we had both expressed surprise and disgust that Disney have not yet released this brilliant piece of cinematography on Blu-ray, yet they've allow The Hunchback of Notre Dame!?  When the movie finished it was around midnight and TwoWrongs was beginning to think he should head home, but then he made the mistake of disclosing that he had not yet seen Tangled, so on it went.  After that, it was well past bedtime, so he headed home, and I went to bed.

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was a quarter cup of Carmen's Classic fruit and nut muesli with some Roaming Cow reduced-fat Greek style yoghurt.
  • Morning snack was two fresh apricots.
  • Lunch was a 300g 97% fat free sweet potato and pumpkin soup with two slices of toasted Bürgen Wholemeal & Seeds Bread.
  • Afternoon snack was a William Bartlett pear.
  • Dinner was a Schnitz 'OMG!' wrap and half a small fries with aioli.  The wrap contained, a chicken schnitzel, tasty cheese, rindless bacon, pineapple, egg, baby cos lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, barbecue relish and creamy aioli.
  • Dessert was two mouthfuls of a salted caramel and almond crepe.

  Sorry this blog was late, but I was hardly going to start writing at two in the morning!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment