Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mar 12 - Home To The Heat

  Today was the only early start I've had all weekend away.  It was of course entirely down to needing to catch a plane this morning.  Earnest walked me to Fortitude Valley train station and we said our goodbyes.  I went through the barrier and raced down the stairs to the platform and jumped straight on the waiting Airtrain, pausing only to shout to nearby staff "Is this the Airtrain?".  I also checked with a fellow passenger once on board.


  The Airtrain cost $14.50 one way and leaves from only a few city stations, then heads straight to the International and Domestic terminals of Brisbane Airport.  It's pretty much Brisbane's version of our Melbourne SkyBus.  Except of course because it's a train, it's a lot less crowded, has better air-conditioning, is cheaper and was generally a way nicer experience than SkyBus.
  I got to the airport about an hour before my flight which was great.  It gave me time to confirm my choice of an over-wing exit row seat and get through security with plenty of time to stop for breakfast in the airport food court before having to board.  It was an uneventful board and an ok flight, though even with my little legs it was nice to have the extra leg room that the exit row affords one.
  I got about halfway through Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut on the plane.  I'm not exactly sure what to make of it yet but I'm enjoying it all the same.  The only interruptions to my reading pleasure were unavoidable napping, the serving and consumption of morning tea, a small child kicking the back of my seat from his father's lap, and assisting with the crossword of the friendly but dithering elderly couple seated next to me.  Did I know what the horses in chess were called?  Yes.  And why on earth didn't they!?
  We disembarked swiftly and I called Mr Smart to let him know I had arrived.  I walked out to the quick collect bays and in no time at all he arrived to collect me and Pengi and whisk us back to his place.  I was going to head home almost immediately, but Mr Smart wanted me to proof read something he was not quite finished writing, so I read some more of my book and patted Pizza Cat while he finished.
  After my work there was done, I headed home via the Sandown Post Office to collect a parcel that had been waiting there for me for a week.  It turned out to be some Optus equipment I was expecting.  It was actually a very good thing that I went home that way because it took me past the physio and reminded me that in fact, today was pilates day!
  I got home and unpacked, tidied up a few things ready for work tomorrow.  I had intended to take the train tomorrow but I've decided to drive again for a number of reasons:
1) I'm tired and it's bloody hot, 2) I had a bunch of things to take in to work with me that I don't fancy carrying for any length of time and 3) I need my car out of the driveway tomorrow because the lawn mowing people are coming.  I am aware that these are all just rationalisations so I promise I will try taking the train on Thursday and Friday.
  Before long it was time to get changed and head to pilates so off I went, in spite of the heat.  I had trifled with the idea of skipping pilates due to the heat but of course Mr Smart was sitting there online, always ready to prod me in the right direction.  It was a good session too, and they had aircon and both pedestal fans going for the whole time which made it bearable.  I added some leg/glute exercises on the reformer and also 'crab walking' with a theraband around the ankles.  It feels very effective on the side leg and glutes, but it looks like you are doing an impression of Dr Zoidberg.
  I went home via Coles to do some grocery shopping for the week ahead.  I've been subsisting on 'what's in the house' for too long and not planning out meals properly.  I got the right ingredients to make a good dinner tonight and tomorrow night, and the two nights after that as well.  Lunches are also pretty much covered and my fruit for the week is in a bag to go in to work with me tomorrow.
  I know I have to keep trying to get back on track, because if I don't try it's not like anyone else can do the hard work for me.  I can't say it's easy lately though.

  Today's food and exercise was:

  • Breakfast was a six inch Subway sub on Italian cheese and herb bread with bacon, egg and cheese.
  • Morning snack was a 250ml Berri multi-V juice and an iced lime cake served on board my flight.
  • Exercise was a 45 minute clinical pilates class.
  • Dinner was insalata di spaghetti.  80g dry weight of spaghetti with about 200g of halved Perino snacking tomatoes, bambini bocconcini, 35g Don white salami, fresh torn basil and a good glug of Mendez extra virgin olive oil.
  • Dessert was a 170g Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy 98% fat free vine passionfruit flavoured yoghurt and an apricot.

  So that's it.  My little trip is sadly over and tomorrow it's back into finding my feet in my new role.  Now it's off to bed with my book for a quick read before I have to sleep in order to get up for work in the morning!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment