Wednesday, June 12, 2013

May 31 - Thunder & Lightning

  It was a relatively good day at work, I got to do another intercompany journal, and wrapped things up for May ready to begin the onslaught of the very short and uber-stressful June.  At lunch time I made errands to Haigh's and Dan Murphy's to grab supplies for drinks and dessert with Masterchef and Miss M tonight.
  I was definitely ready for quizzes tonight.  It was a small fun group tonight, just me, Damo and my boss.  The quizzes always devolve into such interesting conversations when it's just the three of us.  I'll miss that very much when she's gone to her new job.  That's just two short weeks away from now which when I think about it makes me want to cry.  Tonight the subject turned to bands, music and horror movies.  I'm not a big horror movie fan so I just sat back and watched the two of them debate away as to which was the most frightening.  We eventually dispersed and headed off to greet our weekends.
  I went on to Masterchef's place, where she and Miss M were awaiting my arrival and getting the Minichefs ready for bed.  I was greeted with hugs and a broken Tupperware lunchbox.  Looks like word is out that my sister is now a Tupperware lady!  I was given it with instruction to see if it could be swapped over.  It is always worth asking.  Tupperware take their lifetime guarantee very seriously indeed so if you have old warped or broken Tupperware, don't throw it away!
  We ordered a Thai takeaway for dinner.  It was of average quality but satisfying enough, and the bonus was that they delivered.  It was a really rainy night tonight.  Around the time dinner arrived it started pelting down.  Really bucketing down, with thunder and lightening very close.  A couple of times Masterchef had to check windows to make sure the rain wasn't getting in around the edges!
  In the peace of the house, with the kids in bed and the rain pouring down, we got to each have a rant about our respective weeks.  We'd managed to all have a rotten one.  Miss M and I with nasty work weeks and Masterchef with the Minichefs sick and off school.  It felt really good to have some 'girl time' at the end of the week, and we all made statements to the effect of 'doing this more often' which I hope happens.

  Friday's food was:

  • Breakfast was a 45g Carman's apricot and almond muesli bar and a 35g Carman's dark choc, blueberry and almond muesli bar.
  • Morning snack was a gold kiwi fruit.
  • Lunch was a 300g Malaysian style chicken laksa soup with two slices of toasted Woolworths Select chia bread spread with two 17.5g portions of The Laughing Cow cheese spread followed by a 170g Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy raspberries and cream flavoured yoghurt.
  • Afternoon snack was a green nashi pear, cored and sliced.
  • Friday night drinks snackage was Red Rock Deli honey soy chicken chips and French Fries.
  • Drinks with the girls were, two large glasses of Tempus Two copper series moscato and one large glass of The Chocolate Shop's chocolate shiraz.
  • Dinner was three minced pork wontons and a fairly plain Nam Sod (Thai minced pork salad) and they seem to have forgotten to add the 'salad' portion of it.. I didn't spot any ginger or cucumber as described on the menu, they were generous on the cashews though.
  • Dessert was five chocolates from Haigh's.  From top to bottom: lemon truffle, Cointreau truffle, quandong, mandarin cream and crème brûlée truffle.  The crème brûlée truffle was the unanimous favourite; it captured the flavour and texture of the crispy burnt sugar layer perfectly.

  After a long enjoyable evening chatting, getting the stresses of our weeks off our chests, Miss M drove me to Mr Smart's.  I was extremely grateful for this, as the walk to his place, while short and enjoyable in good weather, would've soaked me to the bone on this particular occasion and I was in no fit state to drive myself.
  There were thunder storms and lightning tonight, and as Mr Smart and I snuggled down for the night a thunder clap rolled in so close and loud that it shook the house, which was very very frightening!  It was the first time in a very long time that thunder has actually elicited a fear response from me.  I was very glad to have Mr Smart to cuddle up to.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment