Sunday, June 9, 2013

May 29 - Star Trekkin'

  I was going to be at Mr Smart's again tonight so I caught the train in.  It's so much easier catching the train in from his place, if only because the station is walking distance, no bus required.  I do like catching the train when it's easy and not making me feel dizzy, it's nice to get a bit of fresh air to clear the head  before work.  Today on my walk to the station I noticed a surprising sight.  Apparently persimmon trees lose all their leaves before they lose their fruit!  It was gorgeous, this tall twiggy thing covered in bright orange baubles.
  When I got to work I saw something else fun happening in QV Square.  Construction had commenced on the QV Hotham Lodge!  It's always fun to watch the ideas of the Marketing Dept. come to life.  As I write this in fact (since I'm still a good ten days behind) construction is now complete and the Lodge is in full swing, but more on that later.


  Today was the accruals deadline.  Accruals are basically just financial bookmarks.  It's is a list of purchase orders not yet used which say "If we shut our doors today, this is a list of who we owe money and what for." They recognise that you've spent money, even though the money hasn't yet been paid to the supplier.  Kind of like remembering to squirrel away $100 a month so that you can pay the car insurance when they get around to send you the heart-attack-in-an-envelope each year.  Anyway, it took all day but I got them done on time and left a bit early to catch the train back to Mr Smart's.
  We decided to have dinner from Maharaja's tonight, so instead of getting off at Preston I continued up the line one stop the Regent station instead.  Not being familiar with Regent staion I wasn't sure which way to turn once I got off the train station platform.  I turned right and crossed the train line knowing I was heading in the right direction to hit High Street eventually.  Of course, Mr Smart was waiting to the left to surprise me and then had to run back to High Street and meet me there when he worked out what had happened!

Wednesday's food was:

  • Breakfast was a 45g Carman's Original fruit-free muesli bar and a 35g Carman's yoghurt, apricot and almond muesli bar.
  • Morning snack was a gold kiwi fruit with the skin on.
  • Lunch was a 300g spicy Mexican chipotle tomato and black bean skinny soup with two slices of toasted Woolworths Select chia bread spread with two 17.5g portions of The Laughing Cow cheese spread.
  • Afternoon snack was a golden delicious apple, cored and sliced.
  • Dinner was a samosa with tamarind sauce, chili chicken dry, jeera rice, beef kashmiri, raita and a garlic naan.

  After dinner it was on with study for Mr Smart, blogging for me, and Star Trek for the both of us.  We watched one of my favourite original Star Trek episode, The Trouble With Tribbles, and then Mr Smart felt the urge to watch the video clip for Star Trekkin' which had me in fits of giggles because we both know almost all of the words.
  For his Star Trek pièce de résistance however, Mr Smart put the HD remastered super-dooper 25th anniversary bluray version of Star Trek TNG on one monitor, and the standard definition old version of the same episode on the monitor next to it, just so I could see how much better the new versions were.  You see I've always maintained that I can't see an appreciable difference and that drives my technophile partner and friends mental.
  Well I did have to admit I could now see a difference, and Earnest (who was on my facebook chatting away at the time) and Mr Smart, laughed away at my technological inadequacies and Luddite tendencies.  However, I will qualify my original though by saying this.  Although I can see a difference in visual quality in the newer versions, and they do add a certain wow factor, the original definition does not in anyway detract from the masterful story telling that was at play throughout the seven glorious seasons of Star Trek TNG.  At any rate, visual qualities of beloved TV shows aside, it was a fun evening just chilling out with Mr Smart, Pengi and Pizza Cat.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment