Saturday, June 8, 2013

May 27 - Finding Symmetry In The Antipodes

  Meanwhile, on the same Monday in England, Gub decided to give me a hand too, and see what it's like to write a day in your own life for others.  It was a lot of fun to read 'my blog' from someone else's perspective!

  The day shamefully started with a alarm on a sunny bank holiday Monday.  I had to get up early as I’d promised to work on papers that were left over from my PhD.  My new job is taking up lots of my time and energy, especially with its longer commute, so it’s a bit harder to find time to do other things. (Sound familiar?)  The Cambridge Rower opted to make double espressos for both of us (again?) and go back to bed and read while I sat at my desk, sipped coffee and generally grumped about for having to work when the sun had finally come to the UK.
  After some time, and no small amount of procrastination, we decided to have breakfast and headed downstairs for our daily feast of sliced fresh fruit – today was banana, berries, plum and half an orange, with greek yoghurt, honey, muesli (eh?), juice and two slices of multigrain toast each with jam, defiled by the further addition of peanut butter in the case of The Cambridge Rower.  We eat this breakfast most days and it’s a great start and keeps us going long into the morning.  That said though, our breakfast the day before was Vegemite on toast at 2pm with terrible hangovers so it’s not always this good!


  After another hours work I cycled into old work (25 minutes each way) to print some fun musical stuff for the afternoon’s festivities while The Cambridge Rower went for a swim.  When we got back, Mum and Dad, who are visiting the UK at the moment, had returned from their week-long trip up north.  The four of us caught up a little over some shortbread (I ate one finger), before heading out for lunch to a pub funnily enough named ‘The Bakers’.  It was about 4pm by the time we got served our food, so combined with the early start and some exercise, I eagerly wolfed down half my meal before The Cambridge Rower reminded me I was doing the blog today so needed to take a photo!


  In any case, lunch was a diet coke with a Mexican Beef burger with chips, tomato salsa and coleslaw.  Didn’t make it through all the chips, but it was yum!  The remainder of the afternoon was taken up by general catching up and learning songs for our upcoming gig (The Cambridge Rower and I have joined a pub covers band).


  Having eaten lunch late, we left dinner until about 8pm, which was an AMAZING lamb and chickpea Moroccan tagine that The Cambridge Rower had concocted, with my couscous salad as the side.


  All up, not a bad day food wise, and it was nice to get some exercise in as I hadn’t done any for a couple of weeks.  I’m sure I forgot other snackables, but it’s actually extremely hard keeping track of what you eat, let alone making conscious decisions about it all the time.  Also, I agreed to write this blog a week ago and it’s only just now being written!  (The parallels, the parallels!)  This is much harder than it looks, and doing a guest one has given me an appreciation for what my sister has been going through this past year. 
  With that in mind, I just wanted to publicly say how proud I am of her to my amazing sister who has been doing this everyday for nearly a year!  It’s been wonderful watching you make positive lifestyle changes to take care of yourself and your body.  I know you can make it to the end of the year with the blog and know that this has been transformational, and not just physically.
  Congratulations, and keep up the good work – you deserve it!
  Love, Gub.

  Gub wrote this and submitted it via Mr Smart on the 3rd of June, her weight on the day was a very healthy 74kg.  I'm looking forward to getting down to that myself one day so that I can look as fabulous as she always does!  Thank you to my wonderful sister for writing a blog and to Pengi and Mr Smart also.  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment