Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Nov 7 - Good Food

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces,
just good food from fresh ingredients.
"
- Julia Child

  I feel like I've done pretty well this week cooking wise.  Without having planned anything, I've still managed to make decent healthy meals for the last few days.  I have found that shopping every day for fresh ingredients helps immeasurably but even my short cut meals have been relatively healthy.  I've certainly enjoyed the last three dinners I've made though I confess three nights in a row is about the limit for me for that quantity of that salad.  I'm also pleased at the increasing quantity of vegetables I'm managing.  It is always easier to eat the recommended three serves of fruit than it is to find the five serves of veggies.
  With food, in a couple of respects I am actually very lucky.  Firstly, I really like fresh fruit and veg.  I would definitely prefer Mum's steamed crisp fat asparagus spears with vinaigrette to a plate of anything deep fried (with the possible exception being Granny's scotch eggs).  The more I learn to cook healthy meals, the more fresh fruit and veg I consume as a matter of course.  Secondly, I am a pretty adventurous eater.  I will try almost anything once and most things I'll try again, just in case I've grown to like it.  That's how I know I like jellyfish and century egg and that I still don't like button squash (I keep trying it Mum but it's just not getting any better).
  I'm crediting the good food with a weigh in result.  I weighed myself this morning at 107.3kg!  That's 19.4kg total loss to date.  It's frightening just looking at that figure in black and white.  That's more than my nephew weighs!  It's also scary to look at because I know how close I am now to the 20kg hurdle.  To get under that and keep it all off will be amazing, especially if I can manage it over the silly season.  I know the 30kg hurdle will be my favourite though.  Double digits, here I come!

  Today's food was:

  • Breakfast was a slice of toasted banana bread with 170g Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy Vine Passionfruit 98% Fat Free yoghurt, two diced dried peach halves, some slivered almonds and some pumpkin seeds.
  • Lunch was a 200g Asian Salad base from Coles with 130g of diced Moira Macs roast chicken breast (skin peeled off.
  • Afternoon snack was 250g punnet of fresh strawberries.
  • Dinner was 210g raw weight pork cutlet, pan-fried served with about 116g of Baby Pak Choi Stir-Fry mix with Red Kelly's Sweet Chilli & Lime dressing, a small serve of crispy sweet potato fries and a roasted Pink Lady apple.
  • Dessert was 20g Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.
  • Blood sugar was at 6.2 two hours after eating.
 

  I didn't end up doing any exercise today.  I even completely forgot to do my back exercises until I started writing the blog so I've only managed two sets today.  I'm ok with the no cross trainer as I used the time to do laundry instead so I was still moving but I'm a little worried at how easy it was to forget the back exercises now that it's not hurting.  The tape came off today too so it's no longer pulling on the skin if I move into a bad position.  Maybe I will set a two hourly timer tomorrow.
 For now though, I am off to bed.  I was up far too late last night reading Preacher and I will probably be up far too late again reading the final book of it!  Preacher is an adult comic, not for the faint of heart.  I was so intrigued by first book when I read it once upon a time at Earnest's place, that I ended up buying all the hardcovers as they were released.  Minotaur got almost three hundred of my monies for their procurement.  Rather a lot to spend on comics now that I think about it, but it is six hardcover volumes!  Oh well, we all have our weaknesses.
  Jess 

PS: Happy Birthday to a special friend who'd rather the date remained a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment