Monday, November 5, 2012

Nov 5 - Punter's Paradise

  Tomorrow is Melbourne Cup Day, biggest horse race of the year.  We are having two cup sweeps at work.  I got Americain, the favourite, in one sweep and I can't remember the three from the other.  I think Zabeelionaire is in there somewhere.  I was happy to get the favourite but Ops Man J assures me that the only favourite to actually win the cup in the last ten years was Makybe Diva in 2004.  Oh well, there's always a next time!
  I don't usually pay much attention to horse racing and I've never been much of a gambler, but I've worked with some across the years.  The one I remember most vividly was Bobby.  I worked in the office and he worked in the timber yard.  Bobby was in his 50s and under the fluorescent light of the lunch room, his vision wasn't the best.  So it was that I learnt to read the form guide.  We'd sit and eat, shoot the breeze and I'd read the races out to him.  Bobby did ok, but he had a weakness for an omen bet and though he insisted on betting on them, the horses and doggies with Jess in the name always seemed to let him down.
  It was Bobby that first raised in my mind the question of how much gambling is too much.  He was a happy fellow and a kind one.  He had food in his belly and a roof over his head but the rest went on the races.  I knew that wouldn't satisfy me as a life but I wondered if that really amounted to it being too much.  If he was able to satisfy all of his responsibilities and support himself, what did it matter what he spent the rest on?  I still worried of course and occasionally I still think of him and wonder with a furrowed brow at what has happened to him since we parted company.

  Today's food and exercise were:

  •  Breakfast was half a cup of Carmen's Classic Fruit Muesli with some Devondale Smart Plus milk. 
  • Morning snack was two pecan nut halves, two hazelnuts, four almonds, two Brazil nuts and a half of dried peach. 
  • Lunch was a 200g Asian Salad base from Coles with 130g of diced Moira Macs roast chicken breast (skin peeled off) and a slightly unripe banana.
  • Afternoon snack was a kiwi fruit with the skin on.
  • Exercise was my back exercises.  I didn't end up getting on the cross trainer but I have the day off tomorrow so you can all castigate me if I don't get on it by tomorrow night.
  • Dinner was 162g raw weight extra trim porterhouse steak, pan-fried with a teaspoonful of Pursell's Provisions Tomato Chilli Jam and served with about 116g of Baby Pak Choi Stir-Fry mix with Red Kelly's Sweet Chilli & Lime dressing and a small serve of crispy sweet potato fries.
  • Dessert was 20g Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.
  • Blood sugar two hours after eating was a healthy 5.7

  It was a relatively good day at work.  I managed to make some progress on one or two longer term issues.  We got the half-year end deadline today too.  It's getting a bit ridiculous really.  In order to meet Sydney's deadlines this year, December is officially six business days long.  You may as well not bother with December!  It's going to make for one hell of a stressful first week of the month.
   I'm quite pleased with what I managed to pull together today food-wise without having planned anything out.  Thank you mum for the Asian salad lunch recipe and idea!  Next time I will really plan ahead and make your version, but I cheated a little today for the sake of convenience.  I even thought far enough ahead to get all my food for tomorrow's public holiday and Wednesday night's dinner too!
  Not sure what I'll end up doing tomorrow.  I have grand fantasies of course of getting the whole house cleaned from top to bottom, but of course that's not very realistic.  I might just try to get one corner of one room done and go from there.  For now, I'm getting sleepy.  It was a big weekend and I'm not yet recovered from it, so I'm going to take advantage of the fact I don't have to get up at any particular time tomorrow morning!  Goodnight all.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment