Monday, July 30, 2012

July 30 - Overwhelmed But Breathing

  Work today was overwhelming.  It wasn't a particularly bad day when I try to look at it objectively, it was just one of those days I seem to be drowning in paperwork that never ends.  Things got done, but not things I wanted to get done.  My Mum came to have lunch with me and say goodbye so I must apologise if I seemed distracted.  I was.  By the end of the day I felt exhausted, disheartened, constricted and on the verge of tears.
  The first real moment of comfort came from the CD/MP3 player in my car on the way home.  It was in the form of the repetitive playing of Breathe.  It's the kind of song you expect to hear as the soundtrack to a slow-motion London criminal shoot out.  It's hardly a relaxing piece of music but there is something soothing in the constant throbbing hum of the bass line and as the hardly-dulcet tones of Maxim Reality and the grating nasal whine of Keith Flint filled the space I did indeed begin to breathe.
  Home is a little overwhelming at the moment too.  There is so much to be done that my brain has a tendency to just ignore it and do nothing.  I can list a hundred things that need doing but simply by virtue of volume of choice, I seem incapable of picking one thing to start on.  Some days I feel like I can handle anything the world throws at me.
This was not one of those days.

  Breakfast: Yoghurt, berries and fibre toppers.
  Lunch: A Subway six-inch, wholegrain bread toasted ham & turkey sub sandwich with old English cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles and one squirt of honey mustard sauce (normally they put three lines of sauce).
  According to the Subway Interactive Menu my sub was approximately 1430kj or 342 calories, not too bad really.
  Mum said she was glad I was having a six-inch sub and that my Dad would see that it was a good and satisfying choice that he too was capable of.  It was indeed an enjoyable and relatively satisfying meal so it is for his amusement that I confess, I really wanted a foot-long meatball sub (but for comparison, that would've been 2290kj or 547 calories).
  Afternoon Snack: One dried apricot half, two brazil nuts, two hazelnuts, two pecan halves and four almonds.  It's a good thing I portioned these; they are quite moreish.
  Dinner: Lean Cuisine Creamy Salmon & Dill Pasta.  It was cold today, I was feeling in need of instant comfort and this is my favourite instant meal.  Despite the fact that it looks very little like its advertised picture, it still tastes good.  It is creamy, it does contain plump pink lumps of salmon throughout and the flavour of the dill has not been lost to the freezing and microwaving process.
  Dessert: A passionfruit and thirteen pecan halves.  It was that or a Magnum ice-cream!

  It's now just passed 10:00pm and there is a creaky cross-trainer with my name on it.
I regret not exercising earlier, but I just wasn't up to it when I arrived home.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunnier day, in weather and in disposition!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment