Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2 - What I Ate Today

  Well first off, thanks so much to everyone for showing me such support on my first post!  Emails, phone calls and Facebook 'likes' were all very much appreciated.
  Today I've been doing a lot of thinking about what to eat and when and how to find time to cook, clean, exercise, blog etc.  I had thought about this a little yesterday luckily and so after my first post went up I went shopping and got a few things so I was not completely unprepared today.  I also set my alarm clock for 7:00am so I'd have time to sit and eat breakfast before leaving for work.

Breakfast was:
2 big spoonfuls of Jalna a2 Low-Fat Yoghurt
75g Sachet of McCain Three Berry Mix and
A quarter cup of All-Bran Fibre Toppers

How can these fibre toppers be called "all bran" when they also contain oat fibre and psyllium?

  Unfortunately, I was not so organised with lunch so lunch was purchased at Sushi Sushi!  I considered cropping the tablespoon of mayonnaise out of the photo but of course this is about being honest with myself as much as with you.
  The main problem with this particular selection is it was quite rice heavy so I felt a little bloated afterward.  There is a similar but smaller one with plain sashimi and only a few maki so I might try that one next time I need my raw fish fix!

  Incidentally, for those of you going "Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!"  It did take me a long time to get used to the texture of raw fish.  The first five times or so I was completely grossed out by it.  The Japanese mayonnaise definitely helps and that tablespoon full was enough to go with the whole lot.  I can even occasionally have sashimi without the mayonnaise now!
   Today was my first day back at work after having last week off.  I work as an Office Administrator at a shopping centre so my catch up consisted mainly of reading and responding to a week's worth of emails and preparing invoices to be signed by the relevant managers.  My job is pretty sedentary.  I am trying parking further away and I do get out about once a day to walk to the bank and back.
  When I got home the house was freezing cold, about 9°C (48.2°F) so despite my original intentions, I turned on the heater first and went to check emails and Facebook before getting changed and doing my exercise.  My friend Uppy will be scoffing at my 'freezing cold' because she's a snow plow driver in the UP of Michigan.  This is t-shirt weather to her!  Just goes to show how acclimatised to warm weather we Aussies are.
  After a half hour or so I was ready to brave the cross-trainer so off I went with Buffy the Vampire Slayer to accompany me.  My cross trainer is directly behind the sofa in line with the TV.  I have found in the past that if I am watching something that a) I find interesting or entertaining and b) have not seen before, that I am much less likely to be gazing longingly at the timer watching for the very second I can dismount.  Point in fact, I am aiming to do 40 minutes per day and Buffy episodes go for 45 minutes, so it's quite possible that I'll go a tad over some days.  Though admittedly she usually slays the whatever-it-is by the 40 minute mark.
  After that I made a quick dinner wrap of Khobz flatbread, 40g Philidelphia cream cheese*, 50g smoked salmon and a quarter of a continental cucumber sliced and a nice ripe passionfruit for dessert.  I was hungry after the exercise so I wolfed the wrap down and slightly regretted it.  The big mouthfuls definitely make my stomach feel unsettled for a little while.
  Last week the doctor put me on a 30 day course of Ranitidine to treat my presumed dyspepsia.  It is a 'H2 receptor antagonist' which just means that it reduces gastric acid production allowing any possible damage done by reflux to heal.  I started taking them last night along with my multi-vitamin et al.  Hopefully she's right and along with eating better and smaller meals, fingers crossed I won't have any more painful episodes.
  Well time is fast running away from me tonight.  It's 10:45pm as I type and I still need to load the dishwasher and set it running before I crawl into bed and continue my book.  Last night I started reading a classic from my childhood, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster.  A brilliant book and also made into a brilliant film in 1970.  Apparently the film is is being re-made in 2013.  I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest.  The 1970 film was very true to the book and it's original illustrations by Jules Feiffer.  We shall see.
  Thanks for reading.  I promise the blogs are unlikely to be this long every day :)
  Jess

*Next time I'll get the light or extra light cream cheese but I still had the full fat ones in the fridge and I don't like to waste things if I can help it.  I'll phase in better-for-me products as the others get eaten.
 

1 comment:

  1. Great first day....you should be very pleased with yourself. Lots of variety and things that I would eat even if I wasn't "dieting". As for the mayo....don't worry too much about that, maybe try not to eat the whole tub, just use a small bit on each morsel. The idea of exercising in front of a great TV show is good too...that's what I do and it certainly makes the time go much quicker!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete