Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17 - Feeling Drained

  Got up and ready for work in plenty of time for once.  It was kind of nice having company in the morning.  A sleepy nephew munching Coco Pops on the couch, an equally sleepy sister planning out loud her myriad tasks for the day.
  For breakfast I made up my usual yoghurt, berries and fibre toppers but as I sat down to eat it Bertie asked "Aren't you going to take a photo first?" Well I wasn't going to as I've already shown it more than once, but Bertie assured me she'd never seen it "all smooshed up like that", so here it is.
  Work was draining, very draining.  I wasted most of the morning dealing with the fallout of a power outage which fried the programming on our phone system.  It's infuriating too, because all that work is overridden when the system gets upgraded later this week!  These semi-regular phone fritz-es are why we're getting the upgrade of course but that was on top of feeling increasingly snowed under with my regular work!
  I did get one good piece of news this morning from my lawyer's office.  My divorce was granted this morning.  Despite the fact that I've been anxious about it, this news left me surprisingly flat.  I'd forgotten about the decree nisi you see, so it's actually another month before it's final.  There's nothing more to be done now and I can't make the time elapse any faster.  I probably wouldn't if I could, I have some fun things on between now and then.
  The morning having been taken up with phones, a lunch break was in order.  A Mission Corn Wrap with a smear of Rosella fruit chutney, a slice of Bega Tasty cheese, half a tomato, some delicious double-smoked ham and cucumber slices!  I also had a passionfruit for morning tea somewhere in amongst the phone malarky.
  I don't think I'll get the corn wraps again, they are not very robust.  I might try the Mission Sundried Tomato and Basil Wraps that Bertie likes, or the Wattle Valley Soft Toasted Oat Wraps that Captain Cupcake has recommended, they both sound tasty to me. Now to my afternoon.
  My beloved right-hand gal is off to the pastures of parenthood for a little while so I have to find a suitable substitute.  Now the job is by no means an entry level position but I guess job seekers could be forgiven for thinking so due to the title however, going through 39 resumes of an afternoon is a particularly grueling task so here is some advice for prospective job seekers:
  • Read the job ad.
  • No really, read the job ad carefully.
  • Tailor your application to suit the specifics of the job ad.
    This applies equally to your cover letter and your resume.
  • Two pages is sufficient for a resume.
  • I only care about your last three jobs.
  • If your fancy degree is not position-related, then I am not impressed.
  • Spellchecker is not sufficient proof reading!
    Stationery, as in envelopes!  Stationary, is standing still.
  • Keep it clean and simple. One font, no fuss.
I have about 27 more to get through tomorrow. Groan.
  So it was unsurprising that I got home today and thought about skipping my exercise.  Indeed I procrastinated a lot longer than usual, but finally I got on the cross-trainer and got it out of the way.
  I procrastinated dinner too, it was nearly 9pm by the time I ate something.  I didn't much feel like cooking so it was a 'what's in the fridge' type meal.  Toasted English Muffins with Pate followed by a Kiwi fruit with skin on.
  Let's hope tomorrow, being another day,
is also a better one.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment