Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24 - Quick Dinner Wins Out

  I woke up early, deprived of the warm cocoon of my bed by the need to drop a sample at Dorevitch on the way to work.  I didn't get out of bed immediately on being alarmed into consciousness though, first I turned toward my bedside table and pricked my finger.  My blood sugar was 5.4!!  The normal range is between 4.0 and 6.0 so what I'm eating is already having an effect.
  Breakfast was youghurt, berries and fibre toppers.  I thought I'd mention too.. All Bran list the serving size as a half a cup of fibre toppers, but I have always only had a quarter cup.  Half a cup and the yoghurt just wouldn't be enough moisture to combat the blandness.
  Work was work.  It was my invoice entry deadline today so I was furiously keying away most of the day.  Normally I do it week by week but this month my desk just seems to be getting buried.  I just can't keep up at the moment.  Partly that's been unexpected absences like the lawyer thing and medical stuff but I think it's also partly that once things get messy, I'm never sure where to start.  This can be a big blocker to starting anything.
  I had a passionfruit at morning tea and then, since I'd not prepared lunch and didn't feel like assembling anything, I opted for Sushi Sushi at lunch time!  I tried to cut down on the amount of white rice by only having one hand roll (crispy salt and pepper squid) and salmon sashimi with a small tub of mayonnaise, and I did eat all the carrot too.  I had a tamarillo after the fishy course and then a small lightly ripe banana for afternoon tea.
   When I got home from work, pretty much straight on the cross trainer and sweated away the annoyance of a desk that never clears itself.  Then I was ready to think about dinner.  Now I bought all the ingredients for making a big batch of broccoli soup but by the time I got off the cross trainer I was ravenous.  So I made a quick dinner instead.
  Dinner was a corn wrap with low-joule chutney, one slice of Bega Tasty cheese, two slices of rindless short cut bacon and two fried eggs (fried with no oil in my super non-stick mini pan) then I finished it off with 20g of Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.  My dad is currently visiting so rather than just the food I thought I'd show you him eating his wrap, since I made the same for us both.
  After dinner I had every intention of making the broccoli soup ready for tomorrow but instead I ended up making some healthy snack packs.  Each snack pack contains one dried apricot half, two brazil nuts, two hazelnuts, two pecan halves and four almonds.  I think they will make a longer lasting afternoon snack that a piece of fruit.  I also ran the dishwasher so that I'd have clean equipment for broccoli soup making tomorrow night!
  Two hours after dinner I took my blood sugar reading again, it was 6.9!! The normal range for two hours after eating is anywhere under 7.0 so I was really pleased with that.  It does make me wonder if maybe the high reading I got that kick-started all this was maybe anomalous due to my consumption the day prior but we shall see as we go on.  Apologies if the photo grosses anyone out but I think it's a very cool machine and I thought you might like to see a test strip in action!  You only need to touch a droplet of blood to it and it sucks it straight on.  It's very quick and very clever.
Thanks to Dad for wielding the camera.

  That's it for today, tune in tomorrow for more adventures in attempted healthy living!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment