Friday, July 27, 2012

July 27 - Family Pizza Night

  It's already just gone midnight here so this will be a quick entry, tomorrow's will be late too as I'm going out to dinner with Mr Smart & Co.
 Breakfast was yoghurt, berries and fibre toppers.  I used the last of the yoghurt this morning and actually remembered to buy a new pot today when I left work!  Woohoo for my memory working for me instead of against me.  My morning snack was half a dried apricot.
  Lunch was a toasted sandwich of two slices of Bürgen Soy-Lin bread, a little smear of Rosella Reduced-Joule Fruit Chutney, about 85g of shaved silverside and one slice of Bega Extra Light Tasty cheese.  My lunch time fruit was a granny smith apple, cored and cut into eight pieces.  I like the way they look like rays of light emanating from my sandwich.
  My afternoon snack was 10 assorted unsalted nuts and a panama passionfruit.  I knew dinner would be a little later than normal so I tried to bulk up my afternoon snack a bit.
  Dinner was a tradition dating back to my childhood, family pizza night.  For as long as I can remember, Dad would make the dough from scratch, rise it, knead it, roll it, and spend an entire evening making many pizzas.  As we got older the tradition evolved into adding your own toppings to your own customized pizza and now we make customized pizzas but share with everyone else.  In that capacity, I felt a little left out (though not through any deliberate intention on my family's part).
  Here is my effort for the night, before cooking and after:
  It has a wholemeal Khobz wrap base and Dolmio Classic Tomato Salt-Reduced Pasta Sauce, fresh mushrooms, red and yellow capsicum, sliced kalamata olives, shredded ham, four thin slices of Don Mild Salami and light mozzarella cheese.  Oh, and one anchovy, which Mr Smart insisted on via text message.  I also had a few small bits of barbecue chicken and a Bundaberg Diet Ginger Beer while it was cooking to stave off the tummy grumbles.
  Ok, the feeling a little left out thing, I couldn't share with anyone else.  By the time we got to Bertie's place it was already 7:30pm and the last thing I eat before dinner is usually around 3:00pm.  I was ravenous.  My Dad making dough takes a while and my base was of course pre-made so my pizza could be assembled immediately, which also kept the oven use spaced out.  So I did.  I made my pizza and cooked it all while Dad made the dough.  By the time I was eating my pizza everyone else was only just assembling theirs.  I also couldn't share because I was deliberately avoiding the thicker doughy base, the abundance of salami and cheese, salty preserved champignons and sweet tinned pineapple that I loved so much.
  One way in which I felt very included though was that Bertie, knowing I was being good, had not opted to get high-fat nibbles like brie and crackers and had made a big fruit platter for dessert rather than baked goodies.  My dessert portion of that platter was a tamarillo, six green grapes and six cherries.  She thinks I'm insane enjoying tamarillos, and I'll grant that they are somewhat an acquired taste.  They are exceptionally tart.
  I didn't get to my cross trainer again today, there was insufficient time between getting home from worked and being whisked off to Bertie's by Mum and Dad.  I will definitely be getting on it tomorrow though so that I don't feel awful for indulging tomorrow night.  I keep thinking 'I could just have the salmon steak' but I can't help but think I might be tempted by the ribs instead.  Everything in moderation I suppose.
  Until tomorrow, although technically it already is tomorrow!
  Jess

6 comments:

  1. Holy shit woman! You kept your head through family pizza night - you are stronger than I my dear - really proud of you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! *hug*
      I knew I had to be relatively good because tonight will be harder and I don't want to stuff up every night!

      Delete
  2. She was very strong!!
    W should do it again sometime!! But we could all use khobz and get more jess friendly items!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she just the BEST!!! I like the idea of everyone doing a "Jess Friendly" pizza night, wouldn't hurt anyone having less fatty toppings and base!!! I must admit though, her pizza sounded very yummy indeed!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you both, and yes, love the idea of a 'jess friendly' pizza night! I did miss my green stuff last night. I don't know why but the broccolini on pizza really works for me! Prawns would be awesome too!

      Delete