Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dec 9 - An Unexpected Conversation

Extra Dark Lindor Ball



"For centuries men have kept an appointment with Christmas. Christmas means fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving, a time of good cheer, home."
- W.J. Ronald Tucker







  A nice quiet morning.  Mr Smart and I headed down to the Kebab Joint for breakfast.  We arrived about fifteen minutes before opening but we were happy to chat and talk about our upcoming Christmases.  All three of them!  Soon enough we were served up coffees and shortly after that we ordered and breakfast arrived.  My goodness what a delicious breakfast!  And so close to home... dangerously close to home.


  I had a small cappuccino with one sugar and a 250ml Tamek sour cherry nectar, with scrambled eggs, sucuck and mushrooms on a toasted Turkish roll with a complimentary side of sliced tomato and feta.  I added the feta and tomato to the roll about halfway through.  It worked very well.
  After breakfast we watched episode six of Spartacus.  The ending made me cry.  Then all too soon after that it was time to return Mr Smart to his abode.  On my way home I remembered to stop at The Good Guys near Northland.  I finally got my Breville Fast Slow Cooker!  Thanks for this purchase go squarely to Mum & Dad as I bought it with my Christmas money.  Thank you very much!  I got it for less than RRP too!
  When I got home there were unexpected provisions awaiting.  A boxful of fresh fruit and veg by my front door with a small note that read 'From Benny'.  Given that I don't get paid until Thursday it was a very welcome surprise indeed!  Oranges, mangoes, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, capsicum, lettuce, green beans, zucchini, broccoli pumpkin, carrots, parsnips and potatoes!!  I am going to be making a lot of vegetable soups in the next couple of days.  Any other suggestions that freeze well are entirely welcome!  Benny is such a thoughtful German Shepherd...
but seriously... HUGE thanks Swervin', that was really lovely of you!
  Once I sat down at the computer I got started on finishing yesterday's blog. Not before opening an 'irate' email from one of my regular readers. "It is 8.14 am on SUNDAY and there is NO Saturday's blog. Are you trying to ruin my day?"  No Granny, I was just having a life as well you know you cheeky bugger.  Yesterday's blog took me way longer than usual to write, in part because it was a big day and a fun-filled night, but partly because of a particularly long and unexpected conversation.
  Just before 4pm I noticed someone online that I had not spoken to in a very long time, my ex-husband Rain.  It has been a very long time since we've spoken, a whole year in fact.  It's not that we parted on awful terms, I think we just needed space to grow and get over things on both sides.  But today it seems, we were both ready to talk and see how the other was doing.  The truth is you may stop loving someone, but unless they were a complete and utter nonredeemable bastard, you don't really stop caring about them.
  I was happy to find that he was happy, and he was happy to find that I am happy.  An update for those of you who might be interested, his business in the Philippines is, after a long and hairy time, starting to pay off and he has a little baby girl now.  I did find out about that a few weeks ago via other sources but it was nice to hear it directly.  We also talked about the past and how it's affected each of us and it was comforting to find that we'd both learned valuable lessons and become better and happier people.
  We chatted online for a few hours and it felt good to talk about our past now that we've moved on from it and enough time has passed to heal the wounds.  We eventually finished talking and I went to finishing off yesterday's blog with a little more focus.  Of course I was still hampered a little by Teddy, who had logged on about 6pm and started updating me with all the news from Boston.  I really needed to finish the blog but I don't get to speak to Teddy that often with the time differences being what they are.  In the end it was nearly 9pm by the time he finally agreed to go to bed.  That was almost 5am in the morning for him!  He's a dedicated, if slightly mad, friend.
  In all that I was also chatting to Mr Smart, as I often am when blog writing.  He was tormenting me with dreams of holidays at Legoland in Denmark and the upcoming Christmases.  He nonchalantly said "I guess I should wrap your present now".  My eyes perked up like a Nemo seagull.. Mine? Mine? Mine?  My phone buzzed a short while later and the photo came up with the message "Your present is well guarded!".  I've guessed 'book' and I've been led to believe that I am right.. but he's tricky is my Mr Smart.  The idea of a book may just be a red herring, in which case Pengi may try to eat it!  In any case, even if it is a book, I have no idea which one!  I need to set up my Christmas tree very soon so that it has something to sit under.  I wonder if Pengi will still stand guard once it is within my grasp! *Insert evil chuckle here*
  I didn't eat lunch today so I was famished by this time and the thought of pizza did cross my mindI messaged so to Mr Smart but of course he simply reminded me I had chilli already thawed in the fridge.  So for a quick and tasty dinner I had a bowl of my chilli zapped in the microwave then topped with a generous sprinkling of Mainland Tasty Light Finely Grated cheese and a 170g Dairy Farmers Thick & Creamy Vine Passionfruit 98% fat free yoghurt for dessert. 
  Tomorrow is the last day of my big deadlines for December.  I'm glad that I'll be able to stop stressing over them.  Once they are done, they are done, regardless of accuracy you can stop thinking about them then.  Accruals and journals, that's all that remains.  There is a petty cash reconciliation at some point too but that is easy and basically takes care of itself.  With deadlines done I can relax a bit and start working at my own pace again.
  I think it must be time to go to bed and read now.  I didn't get to read last night (well, that might be twisting the truth a bit, what I should say is "I had no inclination to read last night") so I'm looking forward to settling in for a few chapters.  It is getting very heated in the Union kingdom now.  Glokta, West, Jezal, Logen and Ferro are all facing considerable peril.  I can't wait to see how it turns out, and to start the third book!
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment