Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dec 26 - Boxing Day! Put Up Your Dukes!

  Actually Boxing Day has nothing to do with boxing.  It is the day following Christmas Day, and was traditionally when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts or a 'Christmas Box' from their superiors or employers.  So there you go.  For Aussies it's also the start of the Boxing Day Test, a cricket test match played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) each year.  This year Australia play Sri Lanka.
  I had a sleepy morning in bed and Mr Smart seemed in no hurry to wake me.  When he did dare venture into his own room to start up his computer, he arrived with a freshly made cup of Nespresso Dulsão do Brasil pod coffee.  Mmmmmmm.. I love being spoiled.  After sleepily slurping my coffee while cuddling Pizza Cat, I was spoiled even further!  Mr Smart Snr made us both bacon and eggs with toast for breakfast!  I may or may not have shared a small piece of my bacon with Pizza Cat.


  Mr Smart eventually convinced me to get out of bed with the promise of a trip to The Good Guys in Preston to check out a Nespresso machine they had going cheap-ish.  Big mistake!  Boxing Day in Australia is also home to the Boxing Day Sales (our version of Black Friday for American readers), the biggest shopping day of the year.  And yikes! Was it busy or what!?
  We couldn't get a park anywhere in the homemaker centre where The Good Guys are situated.  We couldn't get a park at Northland Shopping Centre across the way either.  In the end we went 500m down the road and parked at the new Masters hardware store.
  We checked out the coffee machine and I hummed and harred.  Mr Smart pointed out that I actually only drink coffee at his place and that if I was only considering buying it so that he could drink coffee at my place then perhaps I should hang onto my money a while longer.  I considered his input as we wandered around the rest of the store.  In the end I decided to hold off a while longer, January is a pretty bill heavy month for me after all.
  We wandered over to JB HiFi next and I indulged in a few cheap Christmas CDs for next year.  We the crossed the road to Northland and went to First Choice Liquor, but it seems they don't really get into the Boxing Day spirit if you'll pardon the pun.  We checked out internet/home phone deals with Telstra and Optus, both seemed to be on the pricey side.  And finally we grabbed some lunch and headed home.  By the time we got back to the Masters carpark, it too was chockers!


  Mr Smart opted for KFC but he doesn't eat the potato and gravy (a result of his early years spent working in their kitchens) so I had two little KFC potato and gravies with my Sumo Salad.  My large salad tub was half Chicken Mustard Pasta Salad and half Pumpkin & Beetroot Salad.  Yummy!  And I rounded out the meal with a plain Mrs Field's Butter Cookie.
  Mr Smart Snr had some visitors arrive shortly after we returned so we retreated into Mr Smart's room to watch Star Trek TNG and Doctor Who Christmas Specials including this year's brand new one!  It was really cool and led to us having to watch a prior episode so that I would understand the ending.  In the quiet lull following that episode it dawned on me that I had to go to work tomorrow.  "I don't want to go to work tomorrow" I whined and pouted.  "I don't want you to go to work tomorrow either" Mr Smart responded with a grin, which made me smile again.
  I started making mutterings of goings home but Mr Smart whipped out a few coupons and we ended up walking to Hungry Jacks for a quick cheap dinner.  I had a Whopper which was meant to be a Veggie Burger but apparently their staff are deaf as well as increasingly young... or maybe I'm just increasingly old.  C'est la vie.


  I returned home shortly after dinner, slightly melancholy at the end of such a wonderful lot of Christmases.
  Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment