Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oct 3 - To Do To Do To Do

 Not a bad day today though  I seem to be running behind a bit at work.  A result of putting too much on the to do list and then feeling disappointed when I inevitably don't achieve it all.  I try to keep the to do list down to what is reasonable but then some things just take longer.  Like this afternoon I sat down with Ops Men J and D to do our monthly financial forecast.  It took twice as long to do as normal and there are still a few little bits of it to finish off tomorrow!
  My habit of giving myself too much to do extends to home of course.  I sit here internally berating myself for the atrocious state my desk is in but it takes time to make and eat a healthy dinner, to take time out to do my exercise, and to write my blog each night.  Sometimes I just have to take a deep breath and think "Have I taken care of myself today? Yes.  Will it kill me if the dishes are unwashed another night? No."  It still bugs me of course, but it's easier to live with knowing I have my priorities right (well I think so).
  I'm heading into a rather busy weekend as well, so I'm already mind-a-racing trying to figure out when I'll fit in laundry!  Probably Sunday afternoon as I try to try on all my clothes and do a wardrobe clean-out with the help of Bertie.  There are SO many clothes that are not fitting me anymore.  I am in desperate need of a good shop for new work clothes!  I think I am down to a rotation of four work tops and I've been wearing black jeans to work which my boss either hasn't noticed, doesn't mind or is good naturedly tolerating.  They are admittedly very nice black jeans.
  So the master to do list advances, leaving its spawn in every nook and cranny, shopping lists, to do lists, big items needed list and the big items wanted list.
  That last one reminds me to send a humungous thank you to my Dad!  I have been humming and harring about whether or not to get a new camera.  My existing camera is a happy snapper.  It does the job and is very portable so it's always one me, but I have very little control over lighting, focus, shutter speed etc.
  Sometimes my flash over-exposes the photo's subject and when that happens there is very little I can do apart from hold an inflated bag in front of the flash (brilliant tip, thank you RD!).  Anyway, Dad is an avid photographer and decided he wasn't using one of his older cameras much anymore so one of his colleagues very kindly took time out on his way to work this morning to deliver it to me!  I am definitely going to have a lot of fun learning how to use a 'proper' camera!  I'll be able to start doing my light painting again!

Light Painting: Here's one I prepared earlier (years ago).

  For light painting, you choose a dark environment (room with lights off or outside at night) and then leave the camera shutter open for an extended period, say 5 or 10 seconds, and wave lights at it or go even longer viewing moving lit objects.  You can write your name with sparklers and do lots of funky stuff!  It's something I used to do when I had a better camera and something I'm really looking forward to doing again.
So now that's on the to do list too!
 
  
Today's food and exercise were:

  Breakfast was one slice of toasted Bürgen Wholemeal & Seeds Bread spread with a teaspoonful of Maille Hollandaise, topped with two rashers of short cut bacon and one poached egg.  My egg poacher seems to do three poached eggs better than it does one.  This one was over-done! 
  Lunch was a Mission Wholegrain Wrap spread with a quarter of a hass avocado, then topped with around 100g of sliced turkey breast, Masterfoods Corn Relish, Lebanese cucumber, fresh mushrooms and alfalfa sprouts.  I also had a bowl of five Perino snacking tomatoes and a third of a yellow capsicum and quarter of an unpeeled carrot both sliced into sticks. 
  Afternoon snack was two pecan nut halves, two hazelnuts, four almonds, two brazil nuts and one dried peach half.
  Dinner was two of the salmon cakes I made yesterday, 10 minutes in my AirFryer, and I again served them with a salad made of Coles Asian Baby Pak Choi Stir-Fry mix and a good splash of Red Kellys Sweet Chilli & Lime Dressing.  The stir-fry mix works well as a salad and the dressing compliments both it, and the salmon cakes. 
  Dessert was a 48g Arnott's Wagon Wheels biscuit.  It was delicious and bordering on too sweet!  But I wasn't bored, I wasn't lonely, I wasn't depressed, I just felt like having dessert.
  Exercise was 41 minutes on the cross trainer. 
  Blood sugar reading two hours after eating was 5.4 so the Wagon Wheel doesn't seem to have done much harm on that front (probably more due to the exercise done afterwards; let's get that pancreas pumping!).  It is quite a high calorie treat though so I'll be careful.
  To do lists and chores un-done aside, I feel pretty good today.  It was my second day of cross trainer on load 2 and it definitely makes a difference.  Give me another three months and I might be tempted to try a program that steps the resistance up and down while I go!
  So still lots to do, but top of the list right now is sleep!  Good night all.
  Jess

2 comments:

  1. Hey hon, Just a quick note to let you know that I'm pretty sure you get fitter faster if you do interval training rather than constant, but check with Captain cupcake - congrats on the camera - Da comes through once again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kate interval training burns a lot more calories and improves fitness faster than a constant level. Jess while your on the cross trainer do 2 or 3 minutes at your regular pace and then a minute as fast as you can or else increase the resistance really high for a minute. Keep doing these intervals for the normal time you would train. You can reduce the amount of time between the high intervals and increase the length of the high intervals as you get fitter. Interval training also drains the muscles energy stores so that they burn a lot higher calories for up to 24 hours after training as they replace their lost energy stores.

    ReplyDelete