Monday, August 6, 2012

August 6 - Elephantastic News!

  My burritos last night clearly weren't the best choice.  I checked my blood sugar two hours after eating them and it was still at 7.9 mmol/L which is the highest reading since I started.  Even after four hours it was still at 6.7 which is more like my average two hour post meal reading.  And even when I woke up this morning it was still 5.8 (which is at the top of the healthy range).  Duly noted.  I might try the next batch of burrito sauce on top of wholemeal pasta and see if that works better.
  Breakfast was yoghurt with berries and fibre toppers and I remembered to take my fruit and wraps for the week to work.  To keep my wraps flat, safe and airtight I went to Woolies and bought a Decor Tellfresh Pastry Storer!  I figure if I keep a few of those moisture sucking sachets in there they will last a decent while.  I had a Panama passionfruit for my morning snack.
  Lunch was a Mission Garden Spinach Herb Wrap with one slice of Bega Extra Light Tasty, a smear of Rosella Mustard Pickle, two slices of Dorsogna triple smoked leg ham (about 65g) and some Rainbow Salad.  Rainbow Salad is this thing Woolies stock in the pre-packed salad area.  I love it!  It's a mix of broccoli stalk, beetroot and carrot!  It was so easy to add heaps of veggies to my wrap that way.  I've used it before to add veggies to pasta bakes too.
  In the afternoon I had budget/forecast time with my Ops Manager.  It took a while longer than I thought it would but it went well so I was happy.  I felt a bit drained afterwards though so I had a serve of belVita Fruit & Fibre Breakfast biscuits (4) for my afternoon snack.  I think I might start having just 2 biscuits and a cup of black tea instead as Mr Smart had a look at the packet last week and found they are quite high in sugar (23.1%).
  On my trips too and from work I'm currently listening to episodes of Fry's English Delight, a BBC4 radio program about language hosted by Stephen Fry.  They are jolly good fun and you certainly pick up a thing or too.  One episode goes for almost exactly the length of my trip so it works out very well.
  Once I got home I changed into my workout gear and got straight on the cross trainer.  I must be getting better at it because I managed to take a phone call from my plumber during my session.  I answered the phone "Hi D....., don't mind my puffing and panting I'm just on the cross-trainer at the moment" He laughed and we sorted out a couple of things for upcoming work on my house.  As a result of pausing Buffy during the call though I ended up doing 44 minutes today!
  I got the last serve of broccoli soup out of the freezer two days ago and it was finally defrosted so into the microwave it went.  I needed to finish up some prawns from Saturday too so I ended up with Broccoli and Prawn Soup.  Wasn't half bad.  It added low-fat protein and stopped me putting any cheese on the soup.
  After the soup I had 20g Lindt 85% Cocoa dark chocolate.  I noticed it didn't seem so bitter today.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a hint that I'm developing a tolerance.  I'm almost curious to try some Cadbury's Dairy Milk and see if it seems horribly sweet!
  After dinner I broke out the new Lego and played a bit.  It makes some cool things and the wheel and propeller assemblies are quite clever.  I made a tree, a house, a cat, a park bench, a house, a car, the owner and a helicopter!  Thank you again Mr Smart!
You're never too old for Lego.
  With everything else out of the way I checked my emails and OMG! The excitement awaiting me!!  (Bear with me people, I'm about to indulge in some extremely dorky glee.)

It is only 3 days until Mali In The City begins!!

   To celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Melbourne Zoo they've had fifty fibreglass models made of the elephant calf Mali.  Mali is a female calf born at Melbourne Zoo on Jan 16th 2010.  Those models have been painted by different artists and will be let loose on the streets of Melbourne from August 10th to September 21st.
   There is even an iPhone app to help you find them all.  I'm almost tempted to get an iPhone just so I can be satellite guided to each and every one!  I might not be able to get out there this weekend, but I am definitely going to see them all.  A lot of healthy walking involved as you can see from the map!  I may even have to hop on a tram or two!  This has made me giddy with anticipation!  I'm really excited about getting out there and tracking them down, and of course taking a squillion photos to boot!
  Until tomorrow, your dorky and excitable chum,
  Jess

1 comment:

  1. Haha --- you're a total dag re: Mali but props for the healthy choices and substitutions today! And, extra X-trainer time! You can get a whoop whoop fo' shiz! xxx

    ReplyDelete