Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August 28 - Measuring Up

  Managed to do everything on my list again today!
  I dropped a broken 2-Way radio off for repair on the way to work.  It had a bit of an argument with a motor vehicle yesterday but it did make it through with surprisingly little damage (other than the whole not working anymore thing). I still managed to get to work on time which is bonus considering how hard I find it to get up in the morning these days.
  My right-hand gal was a mix of terrified and elated today at the realisation that she only has three more days of work before maternity leave.  It's nice to see her looking forward to it even though I'll miss her input on a lot of things.
  At lunch time I remembered to go to Fish Pier and get snapper fillets.  Except, they don't sell it as fillets.  What they do is weigh you a whole snapper, then if you want it filleted, they will fillet it to your specifications on the spot!  So I picked my snapper, which turned out to be $11.20, and then LOP! off came his head!  He was skinned and boned right before my eyes (or almost before my eyes, I had to duck and peek through the glass).  They offered me the bones and head for stock-making if I was so inclined, but I said no.  I'm not a big fan of food that looks at me.
  The afternoon passed pretty quickly.  I got my little deadline for today out of the way and managed to get some old computer equipment donated to a local charity, Youth Education Support Inc.  Their website is currently under construction, but essentially what they do is provide educational support to young people in the form of equipment, tutoring, etc.  They run a really nice Op Shop in Mahoneys Road too.  They are a great local charity run by very passionate people so it was nice to be able to help out.
  Once I got home it was straight through to the kitchen to make a big bowl of salad.  The salad was a base of baby green oak leaf lettuce, baby red chard, baby rocket and baby spinach with red capsicum, Perino Sweet Snacking Tomatoes, peeled strips of carrot, Lebanese cucumber and diced avocado.
  Luckily Bertie had arrived and let herself in by the time I got up to the avocado because I am hopeless at dicing them, they always end up kind of mushed when I do it (though she did show me a different way of doing it so maybe I'll be ok now).  While Bertie did that I made a vinaigrette of equal parts Mendez Olive Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Tania Balsamic Vinegar and a heaped teaspoonful of Beerenberg Bavarian Mustard.
  Then I pan-fried the fish fillets in a spray of olive oil and 5 minutes later, dinner was served!  I must say, I've decided that fish and salad is pretty damn easy once you've had a go at it.  I'd always worried about cooking fish but I think I'll be a little bit more adventurous with it from now on.  Big thanks to Mr Smart for giving me guidance on cooking times.  My nephew, not to be left out, had fish fingers and as much salad as Bertie and I could convince him to eat (which was not a lot, but we tried!).
  After dinner Bertie and I made a skype video call to Gub.  It was great to have the sisters three together, if only virtually, and our nephew was able to show Gub all his new Toy Story 3 mini-figurines.  He's been getting these chocolate eggs with them inside and for once, he's more interested in the toy than the chocolate!  He practically ignored the chocolate tonight. I had to make Bertie eat it so I could stop looking at it because it was just too damn tempting.
  Gub had to run off to have a late morning coffee with a friend so that left Bertie and I down to measuring me up.  I feel like I should apologise for the entirely unappealing picture of my left arm but I thought in the interests of honesty, I would show you all at least a bit of what was measured.
  You might have to look at the big version of the photo to see them but we put some dotted lines on so you could see where we took the two arm measurements.
I hate my upper arms more than any other part of my body.  I can live with a big bum, a wobbly tummy and thunder thighs, but flappy arm wings?  They disgust me.

  Believe it or not I am feeling physically ill at the thought that very soon you'll all see this picture.  I have promised myself that if I ever get down to a reasonable weight and stay that weight for a year that I will allow myself cosmetic surgery to remove the excess skin from my arms.  Ok, I need to stop thinking about them.
Here are the measurements taken in full:

Neck
  41.5 cm


Left Upper Arm
  43.0 cm
Right Upper Arm
  43.0 cm
Left Lower Arm
  27.0 cm
Right Lower Arm
  29.0 cm
Bust
130.0 cm
Torso
119.0 cm
Waist
113.5 cm
Hips
137.5 cm
Left Thigh
  75.5 cm
Right Thigh
  74.0 cm
Left Calf
  51.0 cm
Right Calf
  52.0 cm








And here is my food for the day:
  • Breakfast was yoghurt, berries and fibre toppers.
  • For my morning snack I had a large Kiwi fruit with skin on.  It was a little unripe yet, so tart it made my cheeks suck in!
  • Lunch was the same as yesterday, a Mission wholegrain wrap spread with a heaped tablespoon of Yumi Hummus and topped with three slices of Aldinga Turkeys 97% Fat Free Smoked Turkey Breast Roll (about 42g), 10 slices of Lebanese cucumber and a big handful of rainbow salad.
  • For my afternoon snack I had a tamarillo and an Afourer mandarin.
  • Dinner was a pan-fried snapper fillet with saladI even had seconds of salad and there was still enough left to have tomorrow with my lamb fillet!  I also had a glass of Peter Lehmann Princess Moscato with dinner.
  • Dessert was a bowlful of strawberries.  The full quantity had been 500g strawberries to 1 tablespoon of white sugar sprinkled on top.  I had about a third of that (Bertie loves strawberries).
  • Exercise didn't happen today in amongst everything else.  I will just have to see if I can squeeze some in on Sunday instead.  But I made good food choices it seems because my blood sugar was down to 5.7 two hours after dinner!  My fingers are a bit sore though, it took me six goes tonight!
That's it for today folks.  Tasks done, berries defrosting, time to make my list for tomorrow then call it a night.  I have a brand spanking new book to start!
  Jess

PS: I recommend you read Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton.

1 comment:

  1. Hey hon - really proud of you for showing us your most hated bits - we all have them, but it takes guts to post them on the web and I'm really grateful that you're willing to come on here every night and bare yourself to let us in and help feel like we're sharing your journey. Was great to see you earlier too! Love you to bits! xx

    ReplyDelete